You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Volume slider erratic in iOS 15

Since acquiring an iPhone 13 and iOS 15 the volume slider is now moving erratically when trying to control levels through Airport Express units with firmware 7.8.1.

Is it now too much to hope for that this might be noticed and get fixed?

iPhone 13

Posted on Oct 3, 2021 5:47 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 3, 2021 8:02 AM

Unfortunately, with Apple getting out of the networking hardware business in 2018, I doubt seriously that they will invest much effort in providing a firmware update to the AirPort base stations, including the Express models to resolve this ... assuming, of course, that this is an issue with the base station's firmware to begin with.

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 3, 2021 8:02 AM in response to Walter Brewster

Unfortunately, with Apple getting out of the networking hardware business in 2018, I doubt seriously that they will invest much effort in providing a firmware update to the AirPort base stations, including the Express models to resolve this ... assuming, of course, that this is an issue with the base station's firmware to begin with.

Oct 3, 2021 10:26 AM in response to Tesserax

Luckily, it turned out to be a temporary glitch. It sorted itself out once I reverted to playing through the phone and then went back to Airplay. The issue was even occurring on a new Apple TV 4K and didn't sort with a reset. I'm hoping this is a permanent fix - I haven't seen anyone else with the issue.

I'm sure there will be a moment when the AEX units become difficult to operate through iOS and/or Mac OS but hopefully not just yet! Thanks for your help.

Nov 13, 2021 2:14 AM in response to MSNCCPER

In a way I'm glad I'm not alone! I have noticed that if I temporarily revert to playback through the primary device and then switch back to airplay to what ever the problem disappears! Recent updates have not changed the issue but, for me, it doesn't happen all the time.

It is such great shame that Apple does not produce a modern replacement for the AEX. It wouldn't even have to be a general router/print server. Just a good upgrade of the music features would suffice. The Belkin product recently announced (but mostly unavailable!) doesn't seem to be very good.

In the 21st century it should be possible to run a wireless audio system without having to wholly subscribe to one manufacturer's products i.e. Sonos, smart speakers etc. It's a reminder that companies produce what they want the customer to buy and use rather than what they actually want and need.

Volume slider erratic in iOS 15

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.