You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Messages showing as phone number rather than contacts

I recently bought my mother an iPhone 8 and it’s been fine, up until recently.

Over the weekend, when she goes into her messages, they’re showing as phone numbers, rather than contacts. When I click into messages from me for example, it’ll show as my phone number and have the option to add to contacts (despite being in there already).

I feel like this is a setting she’s inadvertently changed and I’ve tried a few solutions I’ve found online, such as signing in and out of iCloud, turning off and on short names and MMS in the settings, all to no avail.

Any help would be appreciated!

iPhone 8

Posted on Oct 4, 2021 2:37 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 4, 2021 2:40 AM

Unlike some Android devices, contacts are neither stored locally on an iPhone nor in SIM. They are synced to an email account that you had Google, iCloud, AOL, Exchange, Outlook, Yahoo or any Other

If Contacts on iCloud, try this --> Restore contacts, calendars, bookmarks, and more using ...

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 4, 2021 2:40 AM in response to eddcunningham

Unlike some Android devices, contacts are neither stored locally on an iPhone nor in SIM. They are synced to an email account that you had Google, iCloud, AOL, Exchange, Outlook, Yahoo or any Other

If Contacts on iCloud, try this --> Restore contacts, calendars, bookmarks, and more using ...

Messages showing as phone number rather than contacts

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.