You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

11.6 slow thunderbolt speeds when accessing NAS

macOS Finder takes a long time to display content in SMB shared folders when accessing my NAS via Thunderbolt. This problem may be due to Mac device driver issues. It only occurs to Mac devices with Intel processors and macOS 11.3 (or later versions).

Is anyone else facing the same problem? Any good tips on how to resolve this problem?

iMac Pro

Posted on Oct 5, 2021 6:33 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 8, 2021 5:48 AM

QNAP TVS-1282T3, with QTS 5.

I cannot find anything related to connecting a computer through the Thunderbolt port and it seems it defaults to TB over Ethernet if you do so.

Try using an actual Thunderbolt Ethernet Service instead of the Bridge. A bridge is designed to connect multiple networks together, not act as a primary gateway.

If you add a Network Service, you should see one for each TB bus on your Mac. I don't know which port maps to which bus.

13 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 8, 2021 5:48 AM in response to LordLobby

QNAP TVS-1282T3, with QTS 5.

I cannot find anything related to connecting a computer through the Thunderbolt port and it seems it defaults to TB over Ethernet if you do so.

Try using an actual Thunderbolt Ethernet Service instead of the Bridge. A bridge is designed to connect multiple networks together, not act as a primary gateway.

If you add a Network Service, you should see one for each TB bus on your Mac. I don't know which port maps to which bus.

Oct 8, 2021 6:46 AM in response to Barney-15E

I didn't add the bridge by intend. It was added by macOS.

I tried to add a specific TBT port as a network service, but this won't add anything. It looks like it's defaulting back to the bridge. Maybe this is because all ports are in a state "not connected", while there is a connection between the devices. If I unplug and plug in again, it macOS sometimes recognizes there is a connection now.

Here is the drop-down list I get:

Oct 7, 2021 12:11 AM in response to Barney-15E

I connect from an iMac TBT (USB-C plug) port to a NAS TBT (USB-C plug) port

Not sure what you mean by "or are you using TCP/IP over Thunderbolt", because that's a protocol question, and yes it runs TCP/IP, so the NAS should look like a network device. I'm not aware that it's possible to run any other protocol. Or do you mean things like iSCSI?

Oct 7, 2021 1:19 AM in response to Barney-15E

That's what system information shows:

Thunderbolt Bridge:

Typ:	Ethernet
  Hardware:	Ethernet
  BSD-Gerätename:	bridge0
  IPv4-Adressen:	192.168.2.3
  IPv4:
  Adressen:	192.168.2.3
  Konfigurationsmethode:	Manuell
  Router:	192.168.2.1
  Teilnetzmasken:	255.255.0.0
  IPv6:
  Konfigurationsmethode:	Automatisch
  DNS:
  Such-Domains:	home, local
  Serveradressen:	192.168.1.1
  Proxies:
  Ausnahmeliste:	*.local, 169.254/16
  Passiver FTP-Modus:	Ja
  Reihenfolge der Dienste:	2

So, looks like Ethernet with TCP/IP.

Oct 7, 2021 8:45 AM in response to Barney-15E

This hack looks pretty insane. Apple should fix this crap... it worked before after it didn't. They have had problems with stable, reliable, and fast TBT connections for a very long time.

Not sure what you mean with the "data transfer protocol" stuff. This is super simple: Use a USB-C cable, plug-in into iMac and NAS, mount as SMB share, done. Nothing fancy. It's all out of the box. It's Ethernet and as you can see I have IP addresses.

It's Apple's crappy TBT implementation ...

Oct 7, 2021 2:55 PM in response to LordLobby

No idea what you’re complaining about. It appears your Nas is trying to communicate over network protocol and not over a data protocol. Thunderbolt bridge is not Thunderbolt data. It is essentially ethernet networking over a thunderbolt connection. If you need thunderbolt data speeds then make sure your Nas knows it should be connecting over thunderbolt data not thunderbolt ethernet.

Oct 8, 2021 12:43 AM in response to Barney-15E

I use the NAS (QNAP) as a network device and either connect via 1Gb LAN or 40Gb TBT (there is no recognizable difference) and do the latter to increase transfer speed. Up to the 11.6 updates, this worked.

Former macOS versions had TBT problems too. It's an on/off situation regarding connecting to the NAS via TBT.

I'm not aware of any mode or way to connect the NAS differently via TBT. Do you mean something like an external drive mode?

11.6 slow thunderbolt speeds when accessing NAS

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.