You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Upgrading SSD on 2020 iMac

Is it possible to upgrade the 250GB to a 1TB on a Retina 5K 27" 2020 3.1 GHz ? I was told maybe not because the SSD has to match the processor of the iMac, but that seems unusual. The processor should be able to handle whatever size storage, right?

iMac 27″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Oct 5, 2021 11:26 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 5, 2021 3:10 PM

What no one has mentioned is that 2020 27” iMacs SSDs cannot be upgraded as they are integrated onto the main logic board. That means the only choice is an external solution and the OWC is the best you can buy, period!

7 replies

Oct 5, 2021 2:41 PM in response to TopoTone

I doubt if any external SSD will be as fast as the internal SSD but you could just keep the system and apps and Desktop on the internal SSD and put your Pictures, Music and Documents on the external SSD.

When you get the external SSD you can use the free Blackmagic Speediest app to check the speed of the internal vs external SSD.

Oct 5, 2021 2:09 PM in response to den.thed

Thanks...I'll go with an external. Are there other "pro" SSD's to consider? I've been given this iMac as a gift, or I would have ordered it with better specs for my audio recording, but it's a major upgrade to my 2010 i7 iMac, so even tho it's an i5, it should be significantly more powerful than the old one. Possibly, when the 27" M1 is released, I may sell this and go that route.

Upgrading SSD on 2020 iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.