You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why does Ethernet self assign an IP address, and how do I change that?

I have both a MacBook Pro and MacBook Air that are on ethernet trying to attach to an ethernet router, and both self assign an IP address when connected to it.

When I connect them to my Internet router they both work fine, and get a proper 192.168 address. What is going wrong with the new router, and why can't I change the self addressing issue?

This new router is meant for a disconnected network with no Internet access.

I have restarted a few times, and wiped NVRAM too, nothing helps.

Posted on Oct 7, 2021 10:53 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 8, 2021 6:07 AM

I was finally able to make it connect by using a manually assigned address matching the subnet on the router, setting the subnet to 255.255.255.0, and then going into the router management page and getting the gateway address. Now I can use DHCP to connect and get assigned an IP address. Wow that was confusing

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 8, 2021 6:07 AM in response to SKing4

I was finally able to make it connect by using a manually assigned address matching the subnet on the router, setting the subnet to 255.255.255.0, and then going into the router management page and getting the gateway address. Now I can use DHCP to connect and get assigned an IP address. Wow that was confusing

Why does Ethernet self assign an IP address, and how do I change that?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.