You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My old iPhone is still getting my calls and messages

I transferred my data to my iPhone 13 pro max but when people try to call and text me it goes to my old phone even after I erased all the data from it

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone 13 Pro Max, iOS 15

Posted on Oct 9, 2021 1:04 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 9, 2021 1:20 PM

Since you erased the old phone …

If it’s really incoming “calls” and ‘green bubble’ “texts” … it’s because it probably still has the old, still-active SIM installed.

Think of a SIM almost as a “super app” from your mobile carrier which must be physically removed.

Unless your new phone was pre-provisioned w/ an eSIM … you need to place the “old” SIM into your new phone to use your carrier’s mobile network.

It’s odd that a carrier would leave an old SIM provisioned if the line was moved to an eSIM in your 13… 🤔

8 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 9, 2021 1:20 PM in response to Craigboaa

Since you erased the old phone …

If it’s really incoming “calls” and ‘green bubble’ “texts” … it’s because it probably still has the old, still-active SIM installed.

Think of a SIM almost as a “super app” from your mobile carrier which must be physically removed.

Unless your new phone was pre-provisioned w/ an eSIM … you need to place the “old” SIM into your new phone to use your carrier’s mobile network.

It’s odd that a carrier would leave an old SIM provisioned if the line was moved to an eSIM in your 13… 🤔

Oct 9, 2021 2:11 PM in response to Craigboaa

Well … remove the SIM from your old phone.

That WILL stop any transmission to your old phone (and since it’s a SIM from your old carrier; destroy and dispose the SIM itself)

Your rare “flukiness” is almost certainly related to the simultaneous carrier transition - assuming that you “ported” your pre-existing number from Carrier “Old” to Carrier “New.”

It’s a quite complicated process “behind the scenes” involving SEVERAL entities with multiple electronic “handshakes” occurring between successive steps.

The “goal” is to NOT “drop” your service in the process; it appears you might have actually observed a bit of an “overlap.”

oh … and enjoy your brand new phone. 😉

Oct 9, 2021 2:28 PM in response to Craigboaa

Transitioning between carriers can be messy and it’s NOT an instantaneous changeover.

FWIW, “voice mail” is a “carrier” function.

I’d suggest letting it “simmer” at least thru the night before you expend too much personal energy attempting to “fix” it.

You can NEVER overcome the bureaucratic inertia of a Telco.

(It’s been honed to a “science” over the last 100 years … mostly for valid technical reasons)

They probably can’t even open a “ticket” until the transfer is “completed.”

My old iPhone is still getting my calls and messages

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.