You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why does this not work with Samsung Frame TV which has eARC and second gen Sonos Beam?

I can't get the Atmos to work with the latest Samsung TV and second gen Sonos Beam. The sounds gets muted if I set it to pass-through on the TV settings. If I set to Auto then the audio gets re-sample to Stereo. If I use the HboMax app built into the TV, there is no problem getting 5.1 sound to Sonos Beam. I have to change the Audio Format on AppleTV to 5.1 for the audio to work. The moment I set to Auto or Auto, Atmos Available, the audio goes back to Stereo. What is going on?

Apple TV 4K, tvOS 15

Posted on Oct 12, 2021 12:45 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 14, 2021 5:47 PM

I resolved the problem. The issue was the cable that came with the Sonos Beam 2 wasn’t high bandwidth (shame on them) so the TV didn’t recognize it as Atmos capable. The moment I plugged in an 8k HDMI cable, the TV recognized it and even put up a description on the screen. So, the moral of the story is that cables do matter and always upgrade them along with newer video and audio standards. Don’t be cheap and reuse. They were only eight bucks for Pete’s sake.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 14, 2021 5:47 PM in response to Nicholas_B2

I resolved the problem. The issue was the cable that came with the Sonos Beam 2 wasn’t high bandwidth (shame on them) so the TV didn’t recognize it as Atmos capable. The moment I plugged in an 8k HDMI cable, the TV recognized it and even put up a description on the screen. So, the moral of the story is that cables do matter and always upgrade them along with newer video and audio standards. Don’t be cheap and reuse. They were only eight bucks for Pete’s sake.

Oct 13, 2021 11:30 AM in response to ozgur112

Greetings ozgur112,

We’re happy to help out in Apple Support Communities.

Looks like you have the sound you want when using your Samsung TV, but when you go through the Apple TV the sound is reverts to stereo. The article you came from Play audio in Dolby Atmos or surround sound on your Apple TV is a good article start with.

Have you checked to see if you have the latest tvOS 15 that is available?

Have you checked to see if there are any firmware updates for Samsung TV?

We look forward to hearing back from you.

Why does this not work with Samsung Frame TV which has eARC and second gen Sonos Beam?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.