You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes for iPhone Download from App Store

My iPhone XR running iOS v 14.8 does not find the iTunes for iPhone app in the App Store. For reasons unknown to me (it's a hand-me-down unit) iTunes is not installed on the iPhone. I want to install it but cannot find the app to download to the phone

Can anyone point me to the error of my ways?

rh

iPhone XR, iOS 14

Posted on Oct 12, 2021 4:24 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 12, 2021 6:48 PM

I am guessing that they are telling you to open iTunes on a computer, connect your iPhone to the computer.. and use iTunes to transfer content..

Transfer files between your PC and devices with iTunes - Apple Support

or.. this link might be better because it also comments on using Finder for Macs running newer macOS

Use iTunes to share files between your computer and your iOS or iPadOS device - Apple Support

12 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 12, 2021 6:48 PM in response to rabbithutch

I am guessing that they are telling you to open iTunes on a computer, connect your iPhone to the computer.. and use iTunes to transfer content..

Transfer files between your PC and devices with iTunes - Apple Support

or.. this link might be better because it also comments on using Finder for Macs running newer macOS

Use iTunes to share files between your computer and your iOS or iPadOS device - Apple Support

Oct 14, 2021 3:23 PM in response to rabbithutch

You're saying that your Windows PC won't recognize your iPhone?

Have you done the basics, like making sure that version of iTune is the latest, and the iOS Software version is up to date?

If you're still on iOS 14.8, you could try updating to 15.0.2

try going thru this support article

If your computer doesn't recognize your iPhone, iPad, or iPod - Apple Support

then make sure to follow that link in #7 (pasted below) if still not working

If your Windows PC doesn't recognize your iPhone, iPad, or iPod - Apple Support

If still not working after all that, there are links on both pages as well as right here to contact Apple Support directly

Oct 14, 2021 4:16 PM in response to rabbithutch

did you also go thru the bottom part of this link

If your Windows PC doesn't recognize your iPhone, iPad, or iPod - Apple Support

where it says 'If your device still isn't recognized'?

Does your iPhone show up correctly in Device Manager?

If the Apple Mobile Device USB Driver is there and looks good.. did you poke around and try restarting the AMDS?

Restart the Apple Mobile Device Service

Maybe try reinstalling iTunes?

Here is another thread where turingtest2 has some recommendations that might be relevant for you..

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7907716

adding more...

Are you sure you're downloading the latest version of iTunes? I don't have iTunes installed on a PC at this time..

Did you get it from here iTunes - Apple and clicked 'Download iTunes for Windows now (64-bit)'?

The reason I am asking is because according to this security update list, iTunes 12.12 was released on September 20, 2021 Apple security updates - Apple Support

Oct 14, 2021 7:18 PM in response to rabbithutch

Well I think it's over my head at this point..

You did go thru this part of it too? (3rd party security stuff that could be blocking iTunes)

Resolve issues between iTunes and third-party security software - Apple Support

If you go thru that and can't get it working, I'd go directly to Apple Support, at the top of these forum pages there is a 'Get Support' link.

Or maybe another user will see the thread and have additional suggestions for you..

Oct 14, 2021 7:15 PM in response to Chris0107

One more time, Thank You, Chris!

I've followed all the suggestions. I uninstalled the iTunes I got from Apple and downloaded from the Microsoft Store and installed it. The version number is 12.121.1.54014.0. There is no option in Help to Check for Updates, but there is a Run Diagnostics option. Running it, I found something interesting results. Perhaps the most significant is an error that said the I'm not connected to the Internet; however, I obviously am since I'm posting here. I was also watching a YT video while running the diagnostics.

The diagnostics created a text file. I can post it all here if it will help, but perhaps the most important part is this:

**** Device Connectivity Tests ****

iPodService not found.

AppleMobileDeviceProcess 511.10.5.4 is currently running.

No Universal Serial Bus Controller found.

No FireWire (IEEE 1394) Host Controller found.

**** Device Sync Tests ****

No iPod, iPhone, or iPad found.

This is all after reinstalling iTunes and restarting both the PC - an HP laptop - and the iPhone.

I used Settings > Devices and found that the Apple iPhone is connected as the screenshot will show. As for the USB controller, see the other ss.

Oct 12, 2021 6:42 PM in response to Chris0107

Thanks, Chris.

Maybe I looking for the wrong thing. I've been watching videos trying to figure out how to get m4r files from my pc to my iphone to use as ringtones. One of them instructs to open the iTunes app on the iPhone and click Files . . . The YouTube video was published in August 2018.

I don't have an app called iTunes on my iPhone. The iTunes Store app doesn't have a menu with 'files' in it that I can find. Are we talking about the same thing?

Oct 14, 2021 2:10 PM in response to Chris0107

Thanks again, Chris. I now have iTunes on my PC, but I still have a problem.

I've made a couple of ringtones by clipping out the parts of songs I want to use and converting them then changing the file extension to m4r. I can play the ringtones in iTunes on my PC and in Audacity on my PC. Now I need to transfer them to my iPhone.

The instructions I found indicate that I should have an icon of an iPhone in iTunes; however, it does not appear even though my phone is connected to the PC and appears in File Explorer but not in iTunes. I followed instructions to check the USB cable; it's securely attached. I then reset location services as my instructions indicated; still not icon in iTunes.

Can you suggest other things to check?

TIA

Oct 14, 2021 3:43 PM in response to Chris0107

Thanks, Chris!

Let me clarify. My PC Windows 10 is up to date. My iPhone iOS is up to date. I checked both. My iTunes - on the PC - is v. 12.11.3.17 which is the latest as far as I can tell. When I click Help > Check for Updates the scan bar continues to run without ever completing. IDK why. I downloaded my iTunes from Apple, if that makes any difference.

My iPhone connects to the PC as indicated by my being able to access it from Windows File Explorer. I've uploaded photos to the PC. The problem appears to be that iTunes does not recognize the connection.

I'll report back after following those links you posted.

Thanks - rh

Oct 14, 2021 3:54 PM in response to rabbithutch

OK. I've completed all the steps in the links you gave me except that I have not tried a different USB cable. I did check drivers for the iPhone and the iPhone USB connector. Both were the latest per the responses I got.

On another web page I found information to check %ProgramFiles%\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\Drivers. That Drivers folder does not exist on my system. I also checked Program Files (x64) in the same path and did not find that folder there either. I've been unable to find anything telling how to fix that problem (assuming it is one).

I'll hunt up another lightning USB cable. I don't think this is the cause but who knows? If the cable were bad it seems I wouldn't be able to see the iPhone in File Explorer nor to upload pics.

???

rh

iTunes for iPhone Download from App Store

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.