You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My Mail app uses over 200 GB of storage on my MacBook

I need to free up storage space to run a program. My mail uses over 200 GB of storage, and I don't know where -- I've cleaned out every mailbox. Where can the 200 GB be? It's almost half my total! What's the best way to reduce this storage, wherever it is?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Oct 12, 2021 4:56 PM

6 replies

Oct 13, 2021 9:03 AM in response to RonKolb

RonKolb wrote:

I need to free up storage space to run a program. My mail uses over 200 GB of storage, and I don't know where -- I've cleaned out every mailbox. Where can the 200 GB be? It's almost half my total! What's the best way to reduce this storage, wherever it is?

If you are capturing log files for diagnostic reasons, I would look there.

From Mail>Window>Connection Doctor>Show Logs and look for accumulated logs / size here.

uncheck Log Connection Activity

Use Connection Doctor in Mail on Mac - Apple Support

Oct 13, 2021 9:22 AM in response to RonKolb

RonKolb Said:

"Well, that got rid of another GB, but there’s still 200+ GB in there. Is there a cache that somehow retains everything, as does it need to be emptied?

———-

Thank you for the update.

Three Things to Try:

A. Look for Attachments:

Seems to be all attachments and caches. So, see if you can find a way to view which eMail has any attachments.

B. Freeing Caches:

If not, then cache seems to be the issue here. To put it bluntly, you’d backup your Mac, erase the drive, and then restore your Mac from the backup. That would free the caches, if existent.

Or...

C. Reinstall Anew:

If nether of the above work, then back up your Mac > make note of what you have for applications > erase the drive in Recovery Mode > install it anew. You’d import much of it through use of Migration Assistant or just manually transfer it over. The is the site to use: What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your Mac What to do Before you Sell, Give Away, or Trade in your Mac - Apple Support.

My Mail app uses over 200 GB of storage on my MacBook

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.