You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

It doesn't matter which of any of the mentioned key combinations I hold down, my 27" iMac (Retina 5k 2019) boots as normal. What gives?

I've tried numerous times to "reinstall MacOS" by rebooting. As soon as I press Enter to confirm "Restart" I hold down Option-Command-R. I have also tried just Command-R. In every case, the computer (Retina 5k 2019 27" iMac) boots as normal to my User login. Something isn't right about that, right?

iMac, macOS 10.12

Posted on Oct 13, 2021 3:01 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 13, 2021 4:03 PM

Plug in your wireless keyboard with its charging cable and it will work as a wired keyboard and you should be able to boot with the other key combinations.

Just hold down the keys until you see the Apple logo and its progress bar.

3 replies

It doesn't matter which of any of the mentioned key combinations I hold down, my 27" iMac (Retina 5k 2019) boots as normal. What gives?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.