You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sound level changes to max when I switch earphones

I was testing some earphones and almost got my ears blown off!

When I switched from one set of earphones to another (connected to the USB port) the volume automatically changed to max. It was even more strange, because at first the Mac kept playing through the speakers; then it recognized the USB device and set the volume to max. This happened again and again.

Any suggestions how to avoid this?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.5

Posted on Oct 13, 2021 6:48 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 14, 2021 3:24 PM

gidiav__, 

This is good to have the situation isolated a bit more. Do you have another device you can test the adapter with, such as an iPhone, to see if the same thing is happening? We’re wondering if the adapter might be the culprit here. Or are you noticing the same issue using a USB-C pair of headphones? 

Thanks. 

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 14, 2021 3:24 PM in response to gidiav__

gidiav__, 

This is good to have the situation isolated a bit more. Do you have another device you can test the adapter with, such as an iPhone, to see if the same thing is happening? We’re wondering if the adapter might be the culprit here. Or are you noticing the same issue using a USB-C pair of headphones? 

Thanks. 

Oct 14, 2021 2:38 PM in response to gidiav__

Salutations gidiav__, 

We understand that when using USB headphones, when you initially connect them the volume is always raised to max. 

When this happens do you notice that the system volume is raised to max or does it seem related to a specific app’s volume? Are you using any type of adapter to interface between the headphones and your Mac? 

Thanks. 

Oct 14, 2021 2:45 PM in response to AnnieL2

> When this happens do you notice that the system volume is raised to max or does it seem related to a specific app’s volume?

System's volume

> Are you using any type of adapter to interface between the headphones and your Mac? 

In one case it was a USB-C-to-audio adapter, because the earphones had an audio jack. (I then realized that I forgot about the Mac's native audio sound port, so I started to use it directly. That of course works without a problem!)

Sound level changes to max when I switch earphones

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.