You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to update a back up Photos library without re-copying the entire file?

I backed up my Photos Library onto an external drive, 105GB total. I recently added 7GB of new photos to my library on my laptop. Is there a way to just add the 7GB to my external drive back up without copying over the entire 112GB Photos Library again?

MacBook Pro

Posted on Oct 14, 2021 11:11 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 14, 2021 11:22 AM

Ideally, you would use a Time Machine backup as it will make incremental backups of your device. For best results, your external drive should be at least 2 times the size of the data you are backing up (for easy reference, twice the size of your Mac hard drive).

Learn how to back up with Time Machine: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201250

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 14, 2021 11:22 AM in response to judd131

Ideally, you would use a Time Machine backup as it will make incremental backups of your device. For best results, your external drive should be at least 2 times the size of the data you are backing up (for easy reference, twice the size of your Mac hard drive).

Learn how to back up with Time Machine: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201250

Oct 14, 2021 11:35 AM in response to judd131

You can certainly exclude a lot of the other directories on your system so that only the photos folder is backed up.

System Preferences > Time Machine > Options

Navigate to your user folder

Add everything but the photos directory to the list (it's an exclusion list)

That will backup Photos (assuming your library is stored in that folder, which is typical)

You may also get some other incidental system files in the backup some of which you could also exclude (just navigate to higher level folders, your Macintosh HD and exclude the folders outside of users)

How to update a back up Photos library without re-copying the entire file?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.