You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

WiFi connection startup delay after starting Mac M1

Hi there,

I have an M1 Mac with latest Big Sur.

I’ve noticed that when I start my Mac from ‘sleep’, the WiFi takes about a minute to work. It very rarely starts automatically as it did with my previous Macs where, as soon as my Mac is on, I can go on the web.

If I select another network immediately upon start-up, the WiFi works immediately.

I’ve tried deleting my network configurations and it’s still the same. I’ve also re-installed Big Sur and again, still the same.

As I said, it does this about 99% of the time because occasionally, it works immediately using the same network I was on before I closed my Mac.

Has anyone experienced this and are there any suggestions please to fix this?

Thanks

MacBook Pro

Posted on Oct 17, 2021 10:16 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 19, 2021 3:08 AM

Are there any AntiVirus, Disk Cleaner, Optimizers, Un-installers, etc installed which should be removed as per Developers Instructions. They are useless, unneeded, cause havoc and interfere with the normal operation of the OS and may even Corrupt the OS requiring a Reinstallation. The Built-in Security of Big Sur is all that is required.

Suggest downloading from a Respected ASC Contributor the application Malwarebytes for Mac. It is free or paid for added features. Run the Application and it should remove the malware / adware. Once done, restart computer and test.

There are no known Windows-like Viruses in the wild that self replicate and affect macOS, because of the underling UNIX  Foundation and Permission Limitation. 

There are Malware-viruses and Adware-viruses that does affect macOS and are often times downloaded as part of an Application from Third Party UnTrusted Site and get installed along with the Application.

Similar questions

15 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 19, 2021 3:08 AM in response to Maz K

Are there any AntiVirus, Disk Cleaner, Optimizers, Un-installers, etc installed which should be removed as per Developers Instructions. They are useless, unneeded, cause havoc and interfere with the normal operation of the OS and may even Corrupt the OS requiring a Reinstallation. The Built-in Security of Big Sur is all that is required.

Suggest downloading from a Respected ASC Contributor the application Malwarebytes for Mac. It is free or paid for added features. Run the Application and it should remove the malware / adware. Once done, restart computer and test.

There are no known Windows-like Viruses in the wild that self replicate and affect macOS, because of the underling UNIX  Foundation and Permission Limitation. 

There are Malware-viruses and Adware-viruses that does affect macOS and are often times downloaded as part of an Application from Third Party UnTrusted Site and get installed along with the Application.

Oct 19, 2021 6:44 AM in response to Maz K

Maz K wrote:

Hi Luis and all,

I will uninstall the AV software but I only use the Total AV one every now and then and the Adguard always on Safari. Do you suggest I uninstall every one of them... i.e. is AV software unnecessary on the Mac?

Thanks

This post by a very experienced and respected member or the community explains better than I could how to approach security in your mac.

Effective defenses against malware and other threats

Oct 18, 2021 8:44 AM in response to Maz K

Odd, as also running the Mac Mini M1 Big Sur 11.6 with Safari 15.0 and absolutely no Wifi delays or dropping on Wifi connection after sleep / wake. Though, the Antenna is on bottom so keep my on its' side with Antenna facing Router which is 5 Meters away.

As suggested by colleague @Luis Sequeira 1

Downloading the Application  Etrechechttps://etrecheck.com  directly from a well Respected ASC Contributor

The application is free or paid from added features. 

Run the application with Full Disc Access ( Security & Privacy - Full Disc Access ).

It will take a Snap Shot -  both the hardware and software.

The Report will Not Reveal Any Personal Information. 

Post back the Full Report - copy and paste - using the Additional Text Icon ( 3rd Icon to last )

We can have a look at the report for possible issues and may have possible suggestions to resolve the issues.

Any Third Party Applications that will interfere with the normal operation of the OS, alter, modify, remove or delete or attempt to do so is an invitation for disaster and may require a Reinstallation of the OS.

This includes AntiVirus, Cleaners, Optimizes, UnInstaller etc.

Oct 18, 2021 10:19 AM in response to Maz K

This is from a Short and Fast look at the Less than Full Disc Access Etrecheck Report.

The amount of " stuff installed" and " heavy System Modifications " - personally - would Wipe and reinstall the OS fresh and be very selective as to what get put back on the machine,

=======================================

More than one antivirus app - This computer has multiple antivirus apps installed.

No Time Machine backup - Time Machine backup not found.

System modifications - There are a large number of system modifications running in the background.

Limited drive access - More information may be available with Full Drive Access.

Kernel extensions present - This computer has kernel extensions that may not work in the future.

qbittorrent.app Dodgie and risky downloads

AVG, AdGuard, Apple, and TotalAV These three are totally unneeded

Oct 19, 2021 12:27 PM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Hi Luis and Philip,

Firstly, many thanks for replying and helping me solve this issue. I appreciate this a lot.

I uninstalled the AdGuard first because that was relatively easy!

I couldn't find the apps for AVG which I had many months ago and I thought I deleted it after getting TotalAV. Maybe there are some remnants somewhere of the previous install so I will need to look for this.

I removed TotalAV as well (the TotalAV support page said that a remove to the bin is sufficient which is what I did).

This, I did this afternoon and up till now, about 10 hours later, the WiFi connection has been immediate, i.e. no more delays.

I am going to monitor this and see also how to remove the other AVG bits still lurking on my Mac but I'm happy to say that so far, everything looks good.

I will update in a day or two as it should be clear if the apps I removed were the cause.

Thank you all...

WiFi connection startup delay after starting Mac M1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.