You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

why is the IF function so difficult to use compared to excel?

I'm trying to use the if function in numbers and it keeps adding other functions to it. In excel i just have to follow the parameters. Here in numbers it keeps adding formulas to the if statements that I don't want or need. FRUSTRATING

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Oct 18, 2021 11:35 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 18, 2021 2:26 PM

That isn't related to the IF function, if I understand what you are saying. It is Numbers trying to be helpful by guessing what it is you are trying to type. It can be highly frustrating at times, especially when editing a previously written or partially written formula and it adds commas or +'s that you did not type or thinks you are typing a function name and puts it in the formula.

For complex formulas that it keeps messing up I use "show formula as text", which turns all that "helpfulness" off. When in the formula editor, click the down arrow to the right of the "fx" to choose it. The setting is only good for the one time, there is no option to make it stay that way.

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 18, 2021 2:26 PM in response to lluis2021

That isn't related to the IF function, if I understand what you are saying. It is Numbers trying to be helpful by guessing what it is you are trying to type. It can be highly frustrating at times, especially when editing a previously written or partially written formula and it adds commas or +'s that you did not type or thinks you are typing a function name and puts it in the formula.

For complex formulas that it keeps messing up I use "show formula as text", which turns all that "helpfulness" off. When in the formula editor, click the down arrow to the right of the "fx" to choose it. The setting is only good for the one time, there is no option to make it stay that way.

why is the IF function so difficult to use compared to excel?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.