You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Power Adapter Extension Cable compatible

Hello,

I own a 13" Macbook Pro (Early 2015) with a Power Adapter Extension Cable. I have just purchased the 14" Macbook Pro (2021) and I am wondering if I will be able to use the Power Adapter from my old Macbook Pro instead of purchasing a new one? Are they compatible?

Posted on Oct 21, 2021 7:09 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 21, 2021 7:36 AM

françois20 wrote:

I own a 13" Macbook Pro (Early 2015) with a Power Adapter Extension Cable. I have just purchased the 14" Macbook Pro (2021) and I am wondering if I will be able to use the Power Adapter from my old Macbook Pro instead of purchasing a new one? Are they compatible?

Yes the extension cable itself is universal—replacing the duckhead.

The 1.8-meter Power Adapter Extension Cable is an AC extension lead that provides extra length for your Apple power adapter. Use it with MagSafe and MagSafe 2 power adapters, 10W and 12W USB-A power adapters and 29W, 30W, 61W, 67W, 87W, 96W, and 140W USB-C power adapters.

Power Adapter Extension Cable - Apple

Apple World Travel Adapter Kit

Using Apple power adapters, cables, and duckheads with Apple products

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 21, 2021 7:36 AM in response to françois20

françois20 wrote:

Yes the extension cable itself is universal—replacing the duckhead.

The 1.8-meter Power Adapter Extension Cable is an AC extension lead that provides extra length for your Apple power adapter. Use it with MagSafe and MagSafe 2 power adapters, 10W and 12W USB-A power adapters and 29W, 30W, 61W, 67W, 87W, 96W, and 140W USB-C power adapters.

Power Adapter Extension Cable - Apple

Apple World Travel Adapter Kit

Using Apple power adapters, cables, and duckheads with Apple products

Oct 21, 2021 8:14 AM in response to françois20

françois20 wrote:

Thank you ! So the extension is compatible with MagSafe 3 even though it doesn't say it?

Yes— I do not know how else to say it.

It does say as posted above directly from the HT linked above in so many words— the 140W USB-C is the magsafe 3. This is not the end you are asking about. The extension cord is power to the brick—this is the Universal part

The magsafe 3 is power from the brick to the computer.

https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MLYU3AM/A/140w-usb-c-power-adapter

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.