You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How much will it cost to replace a battery in a late 2011 15 inch MacBook Pro?

Posted on Oct 22, 2021 12:17 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 22, 2021 1:54 PM

jno308 wrote:

Vintage and obsolete Apple will not touch it.

Obtaining service for your Apple product after an expired ...

However you it is easy enough to do yourself,

MacBook Pro Battery Replacement Kits from OWC

or any computer repair shop, let them make the battery purchase not you if this is the way you go.

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 22, 2021 1:54 PM in response to jno308

jno308 wrote:

Vintage and obsolete Apple will not touch it.

Obtaining service for your Apple product after an expired ...

However you it is easy enough to do yourself,

MacBook Pro Battery Replacement Kits from OWC

or any computer repair shop, let them make the battery purchase not you if this is the way you go.

Oct 22, 2021 1:01 PM in response to jno308

I believe the construction is similar to my mid-2012 model. If so it is dead easy for you to replace the battery yourself. The catch is that you need a replacement battery and Apple no longer sells them.

My solution was to buy a battery replacement kit from ifixit.com. Battery plus all necessary tools including the special screwdriver that you need for the battery retaining screws.

The good news is that their kit and instructions are excellent. The not so good news is that in my experience their batteries don't last. My first one swelled up in under a year so that the trackpad would not click. They replaced it for free under their 1 year warranty. The second one lasted just over a year then the same thing. They sold me another for half price. So far the third one is fine (3 months) but I don't have high hopes.

So not a perfect solution, but they do stand behind their product even out of warranty and you are not likely to find a better deal.

Oct 22, 2021 4:45 PM in response to leroydouglas

I have not checked prices from OWC, but kits from iFixit.com are easy to find on their web site. I think I got free shipping.

I have no basis to compare the quality of iFixit vs OWC. The iFixit batteries that I received fitted perfectly and gave about the same runtime as the original Apple battery did when new. But as I mentioned, they started swelling after about a year (even though they still were essentially full capacity) and had to be replaced. I don't know if OWC batteries last longer. I do know that everyone has supply chain issues now, and the batteries that anybody sells may not be from the same factories that they used to use.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.