You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari won’t load common websites on iPad

Home Depot, Washington Post and other common websites won’t fully load on my iPad 8th generation using Safari. (Home Depot even has an alert saying it’s “not compatible with this browser.”.) This happens every time I try to use these sites, even after restarting my iPad, clearing website data, connecting via cellular or WiFi and other suggestions made here. This is a new(ish) iPad, running IOS 14.8. It’s very frustrating having to switch to Chrome.

Posted on Oct 23, 2021 7:07 AM

7 replies

Oct 24, 2021 3:01 PM in response to MelindaNY

MelindaNY, 

The steps we provided, asking you to check the desktop site vs the mobile site are for iPadOS, not macOS. When you tap the two A’s in the search bar (the View menu) you’ll be provided some options such as changing the font size, showing Reader View and one of the them may say ‘Request Desktop Website’, depending on whether the website is set, by the web developer, to load the desktop or mobile version of the site for iPadOS. 

The following article has more about how to use the View menu in Safari for iPadOS - Customize your Safari settings on iPad 

Another step you can test with is attempting to load these pages in Private Browsing Mode. The section, ‘Visit sites without making history’ goes over how to get there -  Browse privately in Safari on iPad

Thank you. 

Oct 25, 2021 2:01 PM in response to MelindaNY

MelindaNY, 

One thing we haven’t done is update your iPad. The current version of iPadOS is 15.1, which was released earlier today. When you have a chance, please create a backup of your iPad and install the update. Then test that site again. 

How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch

Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

Additionally, it looks like The Home Depot has an app in the App Store that may provide you with better functionality than a browser - ‎The Home Depot on the App Store

Let us know the results, please. 

Oct 24, 2021 9:00 AM in response to MelindaNY

Hello MelindaNY, 

We understand that when using Safari, some websites are providing a compatability error message. 

Have you had an opportunity to test the desktop site vs the mobile site or vice versa on these sites? You can request one over the other by tapping the two A’s in the URL bar and then making the request for the one that isn’t currently loaded. 

Do you use any VPN software on your device or have a management profile installed? Here’s how to check - Install or remove configuration profiles on iPad

Thanks. 

Oct 24, 2021 11:10 AM in response to AnnieL2

Thanks for your help. I don’t have a Mac desktop., and this problem doesn’t occur on my MacBook Air, only my iPad 8th gen. I’m not running any VPN software or management profiles. Upgrading to IOS 15 fixed the problem regarding WashingtonPost.com but Home Depot still says “your current browser or settings are not compatible with Home Depot.com.” It says to ensure that cookies and JavaScript are enabled and both are. I can shop elsewhere or switch to Crome for some sites, but it’s unfortunate that these seeming incompatibilities exist with some sites.

Safari won’t load common websites on iPad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.