You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Catalina on an EHD

Running Sierra on a late 2013 iMac. Loaded Catalina on a 1TB Crucial SSD EHD. No real problems switching between OSs. However on Disk Utility the Catalina volume is not on the Crucial EHD, but on Apple APFSMedia. And running First Aid doesn't work on either Catalina volumes. Is this or can this be a problem?

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Oct 23, 2021 5:38 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 26, 2021 8:24 PM

Hey again!

I’d probably recommend, after reformatting the EHD as HFS+ or Mac OS Extended (Journaled), to start with the installation of High Sierra, when the APFS format was introduced, and produced the natural conversion of the formatting, then, downloading any of the future OS’, Mojave and above, etc.

I cant say why exactly, but have seen problems jumping from formats from before High Sierra to after High Sierra, but not in between.

However I’ve also seen different brands of EHD’s react differently whether they are SSD or HDD. And of course the state of the Mac they are connected to is a factor. But regarding the formatting, those are my thoughts, hope that helps!

Similar questions

14 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 26, 2021 8:24 PM in response to elkriverken

Hey again!

I’d probably recommend, after reformatting the EHD as HFS+ or Mac OS Extended (Journaled), to start with the installation of High Sierra, when the APFS format was introduced, and produced the natural conversion of the formatting, then, downloading any of the future OS’, Mojave and above, etc.

I cant say why exactly, but have seen problems jumping from formats from before High Sierra to after High Sierra, but not in between.

However I’ve also seen different brands of EHD’s react differently whether they are SSD or HDD. And of course the state of the Mac they are connected to is a factor. But regarding the formatting, those are my thoughts, hope that helps!

Oct 24, 2021 10:10 AM in response to elkriverken

i too needed a separate external drive with catalina installed on it. i have some hardware that's incompatible with big sur. and the vendor has no plans to update past catalina. so when i did that, i followed the well written and very informative user tip from Jack-19.

How to Setup and Use an External SSD as your Startup Disk - User Tip

Oct 24, 2021 6:58 AM in response to DiZoE

Changes since my request. I will be as specific as possible.

1. Running my 2013+ iMac on IHD running Sierra.
  2. Added Crucial X8 1TB SSD to USB.
  3. Prepared EHD via Disk Utility, GUID partition, Mac OS Extended (Journaled), named Catalina OS.
  4. Erased.
  5. Obtained Catalina OS from App Store.
  6. Downloaded Catalina OS.
  7. Installed onto the EHD Catalina OS.
  8. Completed installation of Catalina OS.
  9. The iMac returned to Sierra.
  10. On sidebar in Finder, found Catalina OS and Catalina OS - Data.
  11. Went into Disk Utility for no reason, just checking.
  12. In Disk Utility, lists Micron Crucial X8 SSD Media, but no volumes.
  13. In Disk Utility, lists AppleAPFSMedia, containing volumes Catalina OS and Catalina OS - Data.
  14. Decided to run First Aid. On the EHD, corrupted. On volumes the process has failed.
  15. Exited Utility.
  16. On System Preferences > Startup Disk, found both Macintosh HD, macOS 10.12.6 (and eDrive), AND

Catalina OS, macOS 10.15.7.

Unlocked, chose Catalina OS, and restarted. "You have selected macOS, 10.15.7".

Restarted, but on Sierra, macOS 10.12.6, NOT Catalina. And Sierra is still OK.

What is my problem? What is the solution?

Thank you.

Oct 23, 2021 9:12 PM in response to elkriverken

Hey elkriverken!

So can you clarify the question?

You said you do have Catalina running on the external drive, and Sierra on the internal drive.

When looking at Disk Utility, which drive are you booted from? And how are you discerning what OS is on it? (Because the APFS format)?

If running First Aid on a startup disk, you should either be in recovery mode, or booted up from a different startup volume than the one you need to run First Aid on.

Likewise, if you startup your Mac to OS Recovery, (Start up holding Command R), what do you see in Disk Utility there?

Can I ask the reason for running First Aid in the first place? (Maybe related).

Thanks, happy to help out if I can.

Oct 26, 2021 1:07 PM in response to DiZoE

After following all the recommendations to load Catalina on my SSD EHD, continued failure to pick it up as a startup source.

So I decided to restart my process: after treating the SSD via Disk Utility with First Aid, reformatting, now tried installing Mojave, with the same results. The download and installation went as expected, but my Sierra did not show Mojave as a startup disk.

After erasing, first aid and reformatting the SSD, used it to backup my music files. Had no problems, a successful backup.

Conclusion: The SSD was OK as a backup, but not as a startup OS EHD.

Any comments are appreciated.

Oct 27, 2021 5:13 AM in response to DiZoE

I was able to reformat the SSD, download the High Sierra from App Store. I then installed High Sierra on the SSD.

To System Preferences > Startup Disk. Only the IHD Sierra and it's eDrive were there. No High Sierra.

In Applications, the Install High Sierra remained.

When I opened High Sierra from the sidebar in Applications, it contained MacOS Install Data, 12 items.

Essentially my results with Mojave or Catalina.

Thank you for your recommendations.

Catalina on an EHD

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.