You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

📢 Newsroom Update

Apple introduces powerful new iPad mini built for Apple Intelligence. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AirDrop from iMac to iPad failing.

While I have been successful in moving files to my iPad Pro (iPadOS 15) from my iMac (Big Sur), now I am constantly getting the message on my iPad, "AirDrop Failed to save item. Save to iCloud Drive instead?"

Any suggestion how to fix this?

iMac 21.5″, OS X 10.10

Posted on Oct 26, 2021 4:21 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 27, 2021 12:17 PM

Hello kschmucker,

Thanks for reaching out through the Apple Support Communities about that difficulty with sending files to your iPad using AirDrop.

To clarify, are you receiving that prompt on your iPad Pro, or is this happening with a different iPad?

Have you had the opportunity to restart both your iMac and iPad since you noticed this behavior?

Also, is this happening with multiple types of files?

Take care.

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 27, 2021 12:17 PM in response to kschmucker

Hello kschmucker,

Thanks for reaching out through the Apple Support Communities about that difficulty with sending files to your iPad using AirDrop.

To clarify, are you receiving that prompt on your iPad Pro, or is this happening with a different iPad?

Have you had the opportunity to restart both your iMac and iPad since you noticed this behavior?

Also, is this happening with multiple types of files?

Take care.

Oct 27, 2021 2:39 PM in response to chuckbl

Thanks for your suggestions. I installed iPadOS 15.1 on my iPad Pro, and Big Sur 11.6.1 on my iMac, each of which required a restart. I also tried several file types, and several of each type.

It seems my root problem was that I was trying to AirDrop some corrupted .mp4 files. Fixing those files, and AirDrop is working for me. Your multiple types of files suggestion enabled me to determine the root cause of the issue. Thanks for the suggestion.

AirDrop from iMac to iPad failing.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.