You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I update to macOS Big Sur?

The link for older Mac OS does not let you install Big Sur, if you click on 'How to install Big Sur' it takes you to a page to macOS Monterey :-(

I need to update to Big Sur too and not Monterey as some software I run is not yet compatible on Monterey.

Posted on Oct 27, 2021 3:47 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 27, 2021 9:22 AM

OK so I managed to resolve by upgrading from Mojave to Catalina and then to Big Sur. More difficult than it should be as either Big Sur wasn't original an option or kept getting prompted to install Monterey!

4 replies

Oct 27, 2021 3:59 AM in response to MartinIFS

There is a download link here to get the Big Sur installer..

Or I should say it Says that's what it is!!

macOS Big Sur 11 can upgrade Catalina, Mojave, High Sierra, Sierra, El Capitan, Yosemite, Mavericks

The blue link ^ goes to: https://apps.apple.com/us/app/macos-big-sur/id1526878132?mt=12

These are located in Support article:

• How to get old versions of macOS - Apple Support

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211683

Additional info and instructions are within above.

Most of these upgrades are like a one-way ticket; even

if you do create a great backup strategy (in triplicate.)

Your issue may be relocated to form new separate thread.

Good luck & happy trails!🌤🌿🌻❄️

Oct 27, 2021 5:19 AM in response to MartinIFS

MartinIFS wrote:

The link for older Mac OS does not let you install Big Sur, if you click on 'How to install Big Sur' it takes you to a page to macOS Monterey :-(

I need to update to Big Sur too and not Monterey as some software I run is not yet compatible on Monterey.

With ever new macOS release we run into this monkey wrench as the past installer get shuffled around —

the Big Sur installer may take some days before it comes back to the surface and available.

You can from the Terminal.app to initiate the Big Sur installer, copy and paste:

softwareupdate --fetch-full-installer --full-installer-version 11.6

How do I update to macOS Big Sur?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.