You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have an Apple Mac Pro (late 2013) and it doesn't update to the latest MacOS Monterey, any reason why?

I have an Apple Mac Pro (late 2013) and it doesn't update to the latest MacOS Monterey, any reason why?

Posted on Oct 29, 2021 8:51 AM

5 replies

Oct 29, 2021 9:26 AM in response to Monterey120

The macOS Monterey install requires the latest firmware to be installed on your Mac Pro. Like myself, some have upgraded internal SSD drive to a non-Mac SSD. Because it is not OEM Apple SSD, the current firmware cannot be installed. Thus Monterey cannot be installed.

Does anyone have a work around as to how to install the firmware upgrade to an internal non-Mac SSD?

Oct 29, 2021 9:40 AM in response to 11201ny

Re-install an original Apple SSD drive.

Re-install 10.13.6 to get a later firmware with a completely different numbering system installed on the Mac (it is not installed on the DRIVE, it goes into private store on the processor card).

then install Mojave, atleast 10.14.4 to get free of the Apple SSD drive requirement

then install MacOS Big Sur, at least 11.1 to get version 426.0.0.0 version

ref:

http://blog.greggant.com/posts/2019/05/07/the-definitive-mac-pro-2013-trashcan-guide.html#tfirmware

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.