You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Do not Apple Silicon USB-C Port Support Data Transfer via Hub?

I bought Hama USB-C Hub, Multiport, 5 Ports, 2 x USB-A, USB-C, HDMI™, LAN/Ethernet (GTIN: 4047443436818) from Turkey at last month. As I read on both technical specifications and user manual, the USB-C port on device is bi- directional; it both supports PD and data transfer. I tested this functionality both Windows 10 & 11 and macOS with M1 (Apple Silicon) chip. On Windows , the port works bi-directional perfectly. However, Apple Silicon device not support data transfer from port, supports only power delivery. It is a behavior of Apple silicon port management or caused from broken hub ? If I connect a USB-C device from mac port directly, it runs perfectly.

iMac 24″, macOS 12.0

Posted on Oct 30, 2021 3:12 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 30, 2021 10:11 AM

Yes. I have 4-port iMac M1. After posting here, I attached the hub to USB & ThunderBolt 4 port. Due to my M1 iMac cannot charged with PD, USB controller closes this port I think. After connecting the hub to USB-C 3.2 port, USB-C port on the hub was started working. This is not an issue, it causes from misunderstanding how the iMac ports behave. Issue is resolved now.

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 30, 2021 10:11 AM in response to den.thed

Yes. I have 4-port iMac M1. After posting here, I attached the hub to USB & ThunderBolt 4 port. Due to my M1 iMac cannot charged with PD, USB controller closes this port I think. After connecting the hub to USB-C 3.2 port, USB-C port on the hub was started working. This is not an issue, it causes from misunderstanding how the iMac ports behave. Issue is resolved now.

Do not Apple Silicon USB-C Port Support Data Transfer via Hub?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.