You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Playing League of Legends on Apple silicon with an external display

Hi everyone,

So I just bought myself a 14" MacBook Pro (M1 Pro), which I use as my personal computer, including for casually playing League of Legends (a popular MOBA game).

I am connected to an external display (LG UltraFine 4K 24MD4KL-B) and some external peripherals (mouse, keyboard).

League of Legends runs via Rosetta 2 on Apple silicon macs, and runs perfectly fine on the built-in display. I run into some issues when connecting my external display, however: input lag, screen stutter/flaky pixels/glitchy display (I can provide a video to illustrate).

The weird thing is, disconnecting and reconnecting the thunderbolt cable once in-game solves the issue: display becomes pristine, there's no discernible input lag, everything works perfectly. However, this workaround causes the OS to malfunction post-game: application switching no longer works, and subsequent games load into a black screen. A restart solves the issue (but it means I have to restart my machine after every game).

This is kind of a frustrating issue, so I wonder if anyone has faced a similar problem or knows of a potential fix? Also, I don't know which part of the chain is to blame in this: the game itself? macOS Monterey? Rosetta 2? I want to push for an investigation, but I don't want to go barking up the wrong tree.

Full specs:

- 2021 14" MacBook Pro (M1 Pro, 16GB, 1TB)

- LG UltraFine 4K 24MD4KL-B

- External peripherals

- macOS Monterey 12.0.1 (21A559)

Thanks in advance for any help!

MacBook Pro 14″, macOS 12.0

Posted on Oct 31, 2021 1:54 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 31, 2021 2:24 AM

Well I just started tinkering on my own to see whether I would be able to find a fix in settings.. and I did!

For anyone who runs into this issue in the future: you have to run the game in Borderless mode (Options > Video > Window mode).

Game runs smooth as butter now :)

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 31, 2021 2:24 AM in response to nassar8

Well I just started tinkering on my own to see whether I would be able to find a fix in settings.. and I did!

For anyone who runs into this issue in the future: you have to run the game in Borderless mode (Options > Video > Window mode).

Game runs smooth as butter now :)

Playing League of Legends on Apple silicon with an external display

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.