You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I want to upgrade from Big Sur version 11.6, but my computer tells me I can't install Monterey because I need an extra 10.5 GB of storage. How do I achieve that?

I want to upgrade from Big Sur version 11.6, but my computer tells me I can't install Monterey because I need an extra 10.5 GB of storage. How do I achieve that?

iMac 21.5″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Oct 31, 2021 10:54 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 31, 2021 11:05 AM

• Before you do anything backup your main drive.
  • Are you using iCloud syncing? If not turn it on to store photos etc in the cloud.
  • If you don’t want to use iCloud move photos to an external drive
  • Open About this Mac, click on Storage then Manage, this will help get rid of some files.
  • Uninstall any apps you are no longer using.
  • Delete any files from your Download folder which you can downloaded from a web site if needed in the future.
  • Don’t be tempted to install cleanup apps as these can cause bad things to happen especially when upgrading the OS
6 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 31, 2021 11:05 AM in response to BillInMunich

• Before you do anything backup your main drive.
  • Are you using iCloud syncing? If not turn it on to store photos etc in the cloud.
  • If you don’t want to use iCloud move photos to an external drive
  • Open About this Mac, click on Storage then Manage, this will help get rid of some files.
  • Uninstall any apps you are no longer using.
  • Delete any files from your Download folder which you can downloaded from a web site if needed in the future.
  • Don’t be tempted to install cleanup apps as these can cause bad things to happen especially when upgrading the OS

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.