You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac not working after erasing hard drive

Hi! I have an iMac which I bought in 2010. I haven't used it for a while and decided to use it today. After making sure it was still working, I decided to erase the hard drive as I'm planning of giving it away. After erasing the mac OS, when I turn it on, there's flashing folder showing.

After reading possible solutions to it, I tried pressing command + R after turning on. It does the internet recovery for a few minutes however after the time has lapsed, what I can see is a white background with an apple logo in the middle. There's no option to install the mac OS which I have a DVD of it.

I tried pressing the options + command + R and it still does the same.

Does anyone know how to help me with this please? Thanks

Posted on Nov 2, 2021 3:29 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 2, 2021 7:47 AM

Internet recovery was added to the 2010 models as a firmware update somewhere back in the MacOS Lion era. Unfortunately it also quickly became slow and unreliable. You could try a hardwired ethernet connection and giving it more time, but success stories in 2021 are rare.

For the DVD recovery insert the DVD and restart holding 'C' (or option).

Note: DVD recovery may only work with the original install DVD that came with your iMac. Install disks for other macs may not work.

As a third option you can use a Mid2018 or older Mac to create a bootable USB installer. https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201372

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Nov 2, 2021 7:47 AM in response to Tdids

Internet recovery was added to the 2010 models as a firmware update somewhere back in the MacOS Lion era. Unfortunately it also quickly became slow and unreliable. You could try a hardwired ethernet connection and giving it more time, but success stories in 2021 are rare.

For the DVD recovery insert the DVD and restart holding 'C' (or option).

Note: DVD recovery may only work with the original install DVD that came with your iMac. Install disks for other macs may not work.

As a third option you can use a Mid2018 or older Mac to create a bootable USB installer. https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201372

Nov 2, 2021 5:18 AM in response to Tdids

Sure, Tdids... I don't think your iMac does Internet Recovery Though.....so what you'd have to do is do a reset smc/pmu followed by a zap pram....here's how: for the 1st one, shut down your iMac, disconnect the power cable from your iMac, and wait about a minute or so, then plug in the power cable and press the power button, and immediately do the 2nd one, Hold down Apple+Option+P+R on the keyboard for 3-4 chimes/bongs and away you go....then just hold down the "Option " key to invoke the startup manager, and slide the dvd into the dvd slot label face up, and it should take it.....the startup manager will show all potentially bootable drives, be they from a USB stick/dvd or from wherever....pick the dvd and continue.... if you have done the 1st and second things I mentioned, then try Option+Command+R on startup and see if it'll boot up to Internet recovery....if it does you'll see a spinning globe and a progress bar on your screen.....if not, then restart and try the startup manager option....

good luck to you

John b

iMac not working after erasing hard drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.