You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can the Back Tap feature be used to put an iPhone to sleep?

I have an iPhone 12 running iOS 15.1. The silicone case I use makes it a bit hard to press the side button to put it to sleep. Sure, I could get a new case, but I thought maybe the Back Tap feature could be used to do that. I looked at the list of things the Back Tap can do but did not find any that would put it to Sleep. Did I miss it or it's simply cannot be done?

iPhone 12

Posted on Nov 2, 2021 9:10 PM

4 replies

Nov 2, 2021 10:04 PM in response to Daniel Lacroix

As you have learned, the back tap action cannot lock your iPhone's screen (you have called it the sleep mode). The reason for that is because you have a big side button to turn off the screen and lock it. If you are using the Apple's Silicone Case and you are having trouble depressing the side button, then you can take it to the Apple Store and get it exchanged (if it was purchased less than a year ago). I use the Apple silicone case and buttons depress with little to no effort.

Axel F.

Can the Back Tap feature be used to put an iPhone to sleep?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.