You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

macbook

how do i wipe my second hand macbook, i want all data and files off it as i only just got it.

MacBook Air 11″, 10.13

Posted on Nov 3, 2021 11:49 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 3, 2021 12:03 PM

hi, SophieTiffin, I think I can help you. You'd use Disk Utility....which, based on the screenshot of your MacBook Air, you're already in. Just click on the Internal drive/volume, which is called "Untitled" and the "erase" option should be available to you.....I'd ask if you already had a backup system going and you already did a backup of your stuff before erasing, which is a smart thing to do. After secure erasing, your MacBook Air supports Internet Recovery.... so plug in an Ethernet cable and do Internet Recovery, which is Option+Shift+Command+R held down on startup..... you could try to do it over wifi.....and it'll ask you to find a close WiFi network, but it'll take longer as compared to doing it over Ethernet......

hope this helps

John b

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Nov 3, 2021 12:03 PM in response to sophietiffin

hi, SophieTiffin, I think I can help you. You'd use Disk Utility....which, based on the screenshot of your MacBook Air, you're already in. Just click on the Internal drive/volume, which is called "Untitled" and the "erase" option should be available to you.....I'd ask if you already had a backup system going and you already did a backup of your stuff before erasing, which is a smart thing to do. After secure erasing, your MacBook Air supports Internet Recovery.... so plug in an Ethernet cable and do Internet Recovery, which is Option+Shift+Command+R held down on startup..... you could try to do it over wifi.....and it'll ask you to find a close WiFi network, but it'll take longer as compared to doing it over Ethernet......

hope this helps

John b

macbook

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.