You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"phonenum-berxxxxxxxxxx" appears unexpectedly when searching for contact in new message

Today I searched for a contact with "ph" in their name from the Messages button, as I wanted to send them an iMessage. Two legitimate contacts appeared, but I also saw another item that shows the person icon on the left with "phonenum-berxxxxxxxxxx" listed as the contact. The x number listed is the phone number for one of my contacts with a name assigned. The phonenum-berxxxxxxxxxx entry is not listed in my contacts.

Any idea what caused this and how to get rid of it?

Thanks!

Posted on Nov 3, 2021 5:17 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 3, 2021 5:55 PM

You received a message in the past (probably spam) that was sent from that address. The messages and email apps “remember” contact information from messages you have received, in addition to your contacts.

Similar questions

2 replies

"phonenum-berxxxxxxxxxx" appears unexpectedly when searching for contact in new message

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.