You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari does not work after Monterey update

Any fix?

Posted on Nov 4, 2021 8:02 AM

9 replies

Nov 5, 2021 5:12 AM in response to Ronasara

Happy Friday,

Since updating to Monterey OS, we find that Safari is very slow accessing our typical sites (for example: webmail for work) and sometimes it won't even connect. Also, when we type in a word to perform a search Safari will either not search or just delete the word; however, if we use Spotlight or another search engine (for example: google.ca) we have no issues.

We have tried clearing the history and doing a restart but did not find any improvement. Perhaps some settings were changed by the OS update?

Any explanations, suggestions and/or recommendations will be greatly appreciated.

Hope you have a GREAT weekend.

All the Best,

bpw709

Nov 5, 2021 9:30 AM in response to bpw709

There have recently been many reports of a broad range of new problems on this support site about the latest release of Safari v15. It is included in the downloads for Big Sur and Catalina. Since you are experiencing these problems, I suggest that you use another browser such as Firefox or Chrome and they will work for you until a fixed version of Safari is released.

Nov 22, 2021 5:22 PM in response to Ronasara

Safari is freezing. Before updating to Monterey I updated to latest Safari update which killed my Macbook Pro 15inch 2019 - it started overheating, typing any keys delayed by 3-4 seconds across all of safari and it was freezing. It really messes up workflow when you have to wait 30 seconds for your computer to finish after you type a sentence especially if you have a spelling mistake at the beginning of the sentence and then it freezes. Made Safari impossible to work with. I zapped PRAM, SMC, NVRam, restarted router, and computer, dumped cookies, added develop to menu and emptied caches, closed all other apps, checked activity monitor, opened in safe mode, ran disk utility - all multiple times. I was waiting to upgrade to Monterey but this forced me to try the upgrade. It did help, no longer crazy heat and typing on most sites is reasonable (there are problems now and then but turning off Adguard seems to help on those sites) But browsing is still sot good. Especially on sites where I want to go back to last page - eg if I'm browsing on Amazon, search an item look down the list and choose an item to read details about. This all works but when I swipe left or hit the arrow key to go back to browsing the list window the window freezes halfway into slide or the page just becomes completely unusable - can't enter any typing, arrows don't work, red button won't close page, refresh won't work, can't click on anything in history - the only thing to do is to quit and reopen Safari. I have to do this every 3 pages or so - multiple times a day. I don't like or use Tabs. I tried all the solutions mentioned above multiple times and I don't want to delete all cookies again - that caused a whole different slew of hassles. Monterey or the last Safair update has made Safari unusable. I keep persisting because it's been my preferred browser for years but this makes me feel I need to look elsewhere and I'm wondering if Apple is as good as I used to believe it was. Please fix this or tell me how ASAP

Nov 22, 2021 5:34 PM in response to AFP008

Still no resolution. The standard boilerplate reply from apple support did not help (yes of course I tested the internet connection). Non of the suggested fixes have worked.

I actually deleted the drive and did a clean install of macOS then did the upgrade to Monterey. The exact same issue persists. So it’s not configuration it’s the build and the defect is in Safari.

it’s getting really urgent this needs to get fixed.

Nov 29, 2021 11:26 PM in response to AFP008

I'm having the same issue. Most recently I will type in an address or a search term and the page won't load one bit. It just sits on the new tab page. For any site. No matter if I close the tab, quit Safari, and then reopen, it just doesn't work. I just had to reboot my Mac for it to work again. It only worked a minute or two at instant speeds before page loading began taking a few extra seconds. Now it won't load any pages again. It's really inconvenient. I installed Chrome and it just works, and it's fast (but I would really prefer Safari.)

Another issue is that while browsing I may open a tab or two up, and close off some tabs. But a few minutes later Safari brings back the closed tabs and kills the new tabs I brought up (maybe a syncing error?) It's very frustrating when trying to do research for school and then my tabs disappear, and those tabs may or may not be in my tab history in case I can't remember where to find them again. The people on the Apple Support chat either didn't have a clue of the problem I was describing or simply weren't paying attention to what I said (they were telling me to reload my tabs among other things... but Sir, my tabs have disappeared! lol) I hope these issues get fixed!!

Nov 29, 2021 11:31 PM in response to Ronasara

So after a clean reinstall of Monterey safari will not load any website. It states there’s a problem with the website - every website. Yet the same sites function fine in Chrome, Firefox, Brave, Opera even TOR browsers.

if you disable Java script it will load the first page but click a link the same issue occurs so it’s unusable.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.