You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Volume slider in Garageband resets independently when using M Audio 49e keyboard.

I use an M Audio keyboard as a midi input to record in GarageBand. I have OS Monterey on an M1 iMac.

Recording into GB, I set the volume slider on the 49e and this is reflected in GB. Both during recording and on playback, the volume in GB repeatedly resets to a lower volume. Whatever settings I select either in GB or the manual volume slider, the output in the track is high, with notes pushing into the red zone.

I would like to disable the manual volume control on the 49e and use GB alone to control volume.

note - The m Audio 49e is quite old so it's possible that the volume slider itself is defective. If it is possible to circumvent this manual switch it would help diagnose whether this is the issue.

Any help or advice gratefully accepted. Thank you.

iMac 24″, macOS 12.0

Posted on Nov 11, 2021 4:17 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 11, 2021 10:33 AM

I fixed this by disconnecting the volume slider control from the internal circuit board. This means the MIDI volume settings are controlled solely within GarageBand on each track.

Similar questions

1 reply

Volume slider in Garageband resets independently when using M Audio 49e keyboard.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.