You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can anyone explain how iCloud works, total mystery to me!

I have iCloud with 1.4TB available

I have iMac with 360GB available

I have a iPhone with 150GB available

Problem: I have a MacBook with 11GB available because iCloud has clogged it up and for the 2nd year running Apple support tell me to wipe the device and reinstall.

They tell me I do not understand the concept of iCloud.

I tell them that Apple sell you the idea that you can have 3 (expensive) Apple products and all your files should be available anywhere, anytime if you buy 2TB of iCloud storage.

It clearly does not work.

What am I missing?

Love affair with Apple waning big time.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Nov 12, 2021 11:49 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 12, 2021 7:35 PM

Hi WicklowMan2013,

So iCloud is a synching service across devices, so you must have enough storage on each device to hold all the desired synched "items" between devices. What I would suggest you do though is this:

1. Look at how much of your Photos, Music, Movies, documents (all), etc., that you have synchronizing between your iMac, MacBook Air, and iPhone through iCloud.
  2. How much of them do you really need doing that?
  3. You say you only have 11GB of space on your MacBook Air and yet, 360GB available on your iMac; what is the full disk capacity and how much can you safely offload to an external drive? This may be a case of you having to juggle around files for a bit.
  4. Do you have an external drive you can move less frequently used stuff to? You can move large things like your possible Photos Library, Music Library and Movies Library off your MacBook Air's internal drive to the external drive.
  5. Are you comfortable going into your iMac, MacBook Air, and iPhone iCloud settings and turning off synching of the biggest culprits?

On your Macs, go to Apple menu > System Preferences > Apple ID > iCloud and look over both Photos and the iCloud Drive Options, can you turn off them? You can (for Photos) turn off the sync and have 30 days to download any photos and videos therein (or a faster solution might be to connect your iPhone and iPad by cable to your Mac and have them synch their Photos to your Mac's Photos and then delete the iPhone and iPad versions.

On your iPhone, go to Settings > your Name at the top > iCloud > check then what you have enabled and synchronizing to iCloud. Also go into Manage Storage and review what you have using up space therein.

I know this is a lot to take in. What I can suggest is, take a hard look at your reasons for using iCloud and what you really need to have synched across devices. I say this as, once you know what you really need and know how much space that takes up, you can start to formulate a plan (we are happy to offer advice here on the forums) of how to get there and save you time, money and frustration.

So, what I suggest you do is:

1. Take a screenshot of your current MacBook Air's storage setup (Apple Menu > About this Mac > Storage) and post it back here. Do the same with your iMac
  2. Do the same with your iCloud Storage (Apple Menu > System Preferences > Apple ID > iCloud Storage.
  3. Break down your reasons for using iCloud and also, what you use each device (iMac, MacBook Air and iPhone) for. Are you duplicating this across devices that may be (though nice to have) not the best use of either the device's space, capabilities and/or iCloud resources?

I know I have put a lot on your to digest. Take it with a grain of salt, breathe and when you're ready, write back. I am sure, we in the community, can offer advice to make you both love your Apple devices again, use them well and not drive you crazy.

Cheers,

Anthony

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Nov 12, 2021 7:35 PM in response to WicklowMan2013

Hi WicklowMan2013,

So iCloud is a synching service across devices, so you must have enough storage on each device to hold all the desired synched "items" between devices. What I would suggest you do though is this:

1. Look at how much of your Photos, Music, Movies, documents (all), etc., that you have synchronizing between your iMac, MacBook Air, and iPhone through iCloud.
  2. How much of them do you really need doing that?
  3. You say you only have 11GB of space on your MacBook Air and yet, 360GB available on your iMac; what is the full disk capacity and how much can you safely offload to an external drive? This may be a case of you having to juggle around files for a bit.
  4. Do you have an external drive you can move less frequently used stuff to? You can move large things like your possible Photos Library, Music Library and Movies Library off your MacBook Air's internal drive to the external drive.
  5. Are you comfortable going into your iMac, MacBook Air, and iPhone iCloud settings and turning off synching of the biggest culprits?

On your Macs, go to Apple menu > System Preferences > Apple ID > iCloud and look over both Photos and the iCloud Drive Options, can you turn off them? You can (for Photos) turn off the sync and have 30 days to download any photos and videos therein (or a faster solution might be to connect your iPhone and iPad by cable to your Mac and have them synch their Photos to your Mac's Photos and then delete the iPhone and iPad versions.

On your iPhone, go to Settings > your Name at the top > iCloud > check then what you have enabled and synchronizing to iCloud. Also go into Manage Storage and review what you have using up space therein.

I know this is a lot to take in. What I can suggest is, take a hard look at your reasons for using iCloud and what you really need to have synched across devices. I say this as, once you know what you really need and know how much space that takes up, you can start to formulate a plan (we are happy to offer advice here on the forums) of how to get there and save you time, money and frustration.

So, what I suggest you do is:

1. Take a screenshot of your current MacBook Air's storage setup (Apple Menu > About this Mac > Storage) and post it back here. Do the same with your iMac
  2. Do the same with your iCloud Storage (Apple Menu > System Preferences > Apple ID > iCloud Storage.
  3. Break down your reasons for using iCloud and also, what you use each device (iMac, MacBook Air and iPhone) for. Are you duplicating this across devices that may be (though nice to have) not the best use of either the device's space, capabilities and/or iCloud resources?

I know I have put a lot on your to digest. Take it with a grain of salt, breathe and when you're ready, write back. I am sure, we in the community, can offer advice to make you both love your Apple devices again, use them well and not drive you crazy.

Cheers,

Anthony

Nov 16, 2021 5:37 PM in response to WicklowMan2013

Hi WicklowMan2013,

So, you cannot nominate folders in iCloud like you can in Dropbox (a nice feature though).

What I would suggest, based on your reply is the following:

1. If everything on your MacBook Air exists on the iMac, wipe the MacBook Air and setup anew, as per my notes originally.
  2. If you are going to go the Dropbox route (which, for speed and in your use case, appears a viable option), download and install it on your MacBook Air and iMac; but do not enable it yet on your MacBook Air yet, or on the iMac just yet; just log in on your iMac. Let your iMac be your primary Mac; the MacBook Air being the secondary Mac.
  3. On the iMac, I would copy the folders you want from iCloud to your Dropbox folder, login to Dropbox and select the folders you want to nominate (I would suggest all). Let them upload. Once you have confirmed they are there, you can uncheck iCloud Drive on your iMac.
  4. On the MacBook Air, log in and go into Dropbox, nominate which folders to download and have synched back up to Dropbox. You don't need to enable iCloud Drive on your MacBook Air, as you will be getting rid of it.
  5. If you don't need your iCloud Mail synched (if you don't use Apple as your mail provider, disable it on all your devices, it might save you same space)

Now, if you don't want to go the above route fully, you can do the following:

1. Skip step 1 above.
  2. Disable iCloud Drive on the MacBook Air and then, once it is done disabling itself, you can delete the contents from the iCloud Folder (but not the folder itself). Do the same with the Documents folder on your MacBook Air.
  3. All the files and folders deleted, will be in the Trash and still taking up space. It will take time for the MacBook Air to actually delete and clear the space; but when it is done, you should have ~60GB or more available.
  4. Download Dropbox on your iMac and MacBook Air and setup as per above.
  5. Let your MacBook Air synch the Dropbox files.

That said, keeping multiple Macs in synch takes initial planning and that's not always straightforward.

Now, you can also use iCloud fully instead of Dropbox, just delete the contents within the Documents folder (as per above, just don't delete the Documents folder) and determine what the dark grey space contents are on the MacBook Air.

Good luck and post back if you've further questions.

Cheers,

Anthony

Nov 16, 2021 4:23 PM in response to WESTCOASTHOPKINS

Hi Anthony,

Thank you for your reply, it is very much appreciated.

Unfortunately I read it after I had totally restored my MacBook to factory settings and then loaded on all my apps and connected it to iCloud and Dropbox (4 hours). Yes you guessed it, the MacBook is now maxed out again with 2GB free out of 128GB.

My main question is: Can you not just nominate just certain folders in iCloud Drive to sync with?

I have a 33GB folder in iCloud Drive and a 3GB folder in Dropbox and only want this MacBook to sync with those, no photos, no music, literally nothing else.

You mention: So iCloud is a synching service across devices, so you must have enough storage on each device to hold all the desired synched "items" between devices.

iCloud 2TB with 1.36TB free

iMac 1TB with 365GB free

iPhone 256GB with 150GB free

MacBook 128GB unusable (only want 33GB on it)

How can I have 3 devices with all this free space and all this free space in the cloud and still have it clog up my MacBook?

I think the solution is to move to DropBox, they have a thing called SmartSync and it is the same price as iCloud 2TB but all the files live in the cloud and you drag them up and down as you need them.

What do you think?

https://www.dropbox.com/smart-sync#:~:text=With%20Smart%20Sync%2C%20you%20can%20choose%20to%20make%20files%20online,and%20they'll%20sync%20automatically.

Can anyone explain how iCloud works, total mystery to me!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.