You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can you use an 87W adaptor to charge the new MacBook Pro?

MacBook Pro (2020 and later)

Posted on Nov 13, 2021 1:09 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 13, 2021 1:20 PM

Dear NJ-Geoff,

That depands, are you talking about the 14 or 16 inch?

In case of the 14 inch, yes it is possible. The MacBook Pro will always ask a sertain amount from the Power Adapter, so as long as the wattage of the Power Adapter supports that need its fine. To put it simply: if your Power Adapter can deliver more that the one that comes with it, the MacBook will only ask for the right amount.

If you are talking about the 16 inch I would not recommend using a 87W Power Adapter since that wattage is less than the Power Adapter that comes with the MacBook Pro 16 inch (96W). I would advise you to use the Power Adapter that is included with the Mac.

In case you are wondering if the new MacBook models come with Power Adapters, the answer is: yes. This is listed under the "What's in the Box" section.

Hope it helps :)

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Nov 13, 2021 1:20 PM in response to NJ-Geoff

Dear NJ-Geoff,

That depands, are you talking about the 14 or 16 inch?

In case of the 14 inch, yes it is possible. The MacBook Pro will always ask a sertain amount from the Power Adapter, so as long as the wattage of the Power Adapter supports that need its fine. To put it simply: if your Power Adapter can deliver more that the one that comes with it, the MacBook will only ask for the right amount.

If you are talking about the 16 inch I would not recommend using a 87W Power Adapter since that wattage is less than the Power Adapter that comes with the MacBook Pro 16 inch (96W). I would advise you to use the Power Adapter that is included with the Mac.

In case you are wondering if the new MacBook models come with Power Adapters, the answer is: yes. This is listed under the "What's in the Box" section.

Hope it helps :)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.