You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

📢 Newsroom Update

Apple introduces powerful new iPad mini built for Apple Intelligence. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Activation locked on deceased persons I pad

My mother-in-law gave me my father-in-laws Ipad mini a year and a half ago after he passed and she hadn’t found his info for it it has activation lock I don’t know what to do because she passed away 4 months ago so is this now garbage

Posted on Nov 14, 2021 11:58 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 14, 2021 12:17 PM

Without the Apple ID and Password that was used to set up the iPad, you will never be able to use the device. We can't help and Apple will not unless you can produce the original receipt clearly showing the serial number. You can also go through the legal method...

How to request access to a deceased family member's Apple accounts - Apple Support

If you don't want to do all that, don't just discard the iPad as it can be recycled at any Apple Store.

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Nov 14, 2021 12:17 PM in response to Jenny2164

Without the Apple ID and Password that was used to set up the iPad, you will never be able to use the device. We can't help and Apple will not unless you can produce the original receipt clearly showing the serial number. You can also go through the legal method...

How to request access to a deceased family member's Apple accounts - Apple Support

If you don't want to do all that, don't just discard the iPad as it can be recycled at any Apple Store.

Activation locked on deceased persons I pad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.