You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

is there any way to use an iMac 27" mid 2011 as a display for a newer iMac or MacBook?

I got a new MacBook air M1

I would like to use my old iMac 27" as a second screen or display. What can I do?

iMac 27″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Nov 14, 2021 2:29 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 14, 2021 2:31 PM

Welcome to Apple Support Communities.

Sorry, that's not possible.

Please refer to: Use your iMac as a display with target display mode - Apple Support as to why it won't work.

Jack

3 replies

Nov 26, 2021 9:49 AM in response to CodigoRoger

See https:///astropad.com/product/lunadisplay. Using Luna Display I have been able to use my 2013 iMac monitor with my 2020 Mac mini m1 but not without problems. I have finally given up on getting this configuration to consistently work correctly and purchased a separate monitor for the Mac mini. If anyone out there has been 100% successful with this configuration I'd sure like to hear how they did it.

is there any way to use an iMac 27" mid 2011 as a display for a newer iMac or MacBook?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.