You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

support.apple.com/mac/startup - question mark - nothing works....

I was setting my computer to factory settings because my daughter is going to use the computer. I followed the instructions but then just a flashing question mark and support.apple.com/mac/startup.

I went to the instructions and it says that you should turn off and press R and Command when you turn on. I did but the same error comes back.

What should I do?

MacBook Air (2020 or later)

Posted on Nov 15, 2021 4:17 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 15, 2021 4:40 AM

It's a tab bit more complicated than just pressing the command and R keys.

Command R (Recovery Panel) is invoked after turning power off. What I do with almost 100% success is to let it sit for maybe 20 seconds to make sure it's really off. Next is a bit tricky. Press and release the power button and immediately after releasing the power button, press and hold the Command and R keys. I always start with hands completely off the keyboard.

Keep holding them until the progress bar appears, at that point release both.

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Nov 15, 2021 4:40 AM in response to ErlaRán

It's a tab bit more complicated than just pressing the command and R keys.

Command R (Recovery Panel) is invoked after turning power off. What I do with almost 100% success is to let it sit for maybe 20 seconds to make sure it's really off. Next is a bit tricky. Press and release the power button and immediately after releasing the power button, press and hold the Command and R keys. I always start with hands completely off the keyboard.

Keep holding them until the progress bar appears, at that point release both.

support.apple.com/mac/startup - question mark - nothing works....

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.