You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos file size reduced when synced to iPhone

I used iTunes to copy a folder of photos from my iMac to my iPhone 13.

When I view the file size on the iPhone of any photo it is drastically smaller than the original photo on the Photos app on the iMac. For example, file size on iMac 2.4Mb, file size of photo file after copying to the iPhone is 649kb.

Why is that?

I do not use iCloud.

Thanks, Peter

Posted on Nov 15, 2021 8:37 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 15, 2021 9:01 AM

When you sync photos manually to the iPhone with iTunes or the Finder, the photos will be synced in a reduced resolution for viewing on the device. The reduction is specific for each device.

Alos photos downloaded from My Photo Stream or Shared albums will have reduced dimensions.

Only syncing with iCloud Photos, Air Dropping, or Mail may preserve the full resolution.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Nov 15, 2021 9:01 AM in response to Switcher100

When you sync photos manually to the iPhone with iTunes or the Finder, the photos will be synced in a reduced resolution for viewing on the device. The reduction is specific for each device.

Alos photos downloaded from My Photo Stream or Shared albums will have reduced dimensions.

Only syncing with iCloud Photos, Air Dropping, or Mail may preserve the full resolution.

Photos file size reduced when synced to iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.