You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

upgrading high sierra

I just wonder: if upgrading a Mac from High Sierra to Catalina, is it a good idea to upgrade to Mojave first?

I'm asking this for a friend who wants to be sure to follow the right steps when upgrading. She knows that 32-bit apps won't work on Catalina and that she will have to download e.g. a new printerdriver.

Her Mac is compatible with Catalina

iMac 27″ 5K, macOS 11.6

Posted on Nov 15, 2021 11:25 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 15, 2021 10:15 PM

Thanks, the Mac (2017) supports Catalina and newer OS. Someone told her not to go from High Sierra to Catalina directly, but upgrade the OS step by step = first to Mojave, then Catalina, then BigSur and then Monterey

She asked me to check it on this forum.

Thanks again for your answer: it’ll save her hours of upgrading-time (last week she went from Sierra to High Sierra without any problems, now she wants to upgrade to a newer OS)

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Nov 15, 2021 10:15 PM in response to leroydouglas

Thanks, the Mac (2017) supports Catalina and newer OS. Someone told her not to go from High Sierra to Catalina directly, but upgrade the OS step by step = first to Mojave, then Catalina, then BigSur and then Monterey

She asked me to check it on this forum.

Thanks again for your answer: it’ll save her hours of upgrading-time (last week she went from Sierra to High Sierra without any problems, now she wants to upgrade to a newer OS)

Nov 15, 2021 11:45 AM in response to mulberry58

mulberry58 wrote:

I just wonder: if upgrading a Mac from High Sierra to Catalina, is it a good idea to upgrade to Mojave first?
I'm asking this for a friend who wants to be sure to follow the right steps when upgrading. She knows that 32-bit apps won't work on Catalina and that she will have to download e.g. a new printerdriver.
Her Mac is compatible with Catalina

If the Mac can support Catalina...

macOS Catalina compatiblity:

MacBook: Early 2015 or newer

MacBook Air: Mid 2012 or newer

MacBook Pro: Mid 2012 or newer

Mac Mini: Late 2012 or newer

iMac: Late 2012 or newer

iMac Pro

Mac Pro: Late 2013 or newer; Mid 2010 or Mid 2012 if upgraded with a recommended Metal-capable GPU

You can go directly to Catalina

verify you are using the Safari browser to download/initiate the macOS links.

The older macOS installer backups on this server:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211683

upgrading high sierra

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.