You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

excessive memory usage 64GB M1 Max MacBook Pro running Monterey 12.0.1

my brand new MBP 16" w/64GB RAM M1 Max is using excessive amounts of RAM - it doesn't appear to be any one particular app or process that is "stealing" RAM - but usually it will be the onlly app that is open at the time, or one of multiple apps i have open. i'm running Monterey 12.0.1, but I had a similar issue in Big Sur - not as bad as this, however. I just ran diagnostics and received a code that says there is nothing wrong with the machine, so it must be the OS.

as an example, most recently i had Illustrator 22 and Photoshop 22 open - neither had docs open however. As i attemtped to open a doc I realized it was running sluggish, checked activity monitor and Illustrator was pulling 37GB of RAM! With no doc open!! I was trying to open a doc in Photoshop so the memory leakage didn't even make sense to me.

anyone else (i know there are a lot of people discussing memory issues) find a solution to this issue, or do i/we have to wait for apple to patch the OS?

i was expecting to be able to work more quickly and worry less about memory issues with this new maching and OS - instead its slower than my 2018 i9 15" MBP running Big Sur - and that had memory issues as well, as stated previously.

EDIT: I did not change my cursor color/size etc ever -- I've seen some solutions saying to put the cursor back to black; this solution doesn't apply to my situation.

Posted on Nov 16, 2021 6:58 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 17, 2021 12:11 PM

jlkarnell wrote:

Thanks. I’ll try that. I have noticed CleanMyMac X seems to pull a bit of memory itself, even though they state the app is “notarized by apple for Monterey”.

“notarized by apple for Monterey” this means nothing other than the fact it jumped the hoops and paid Apple money, to have it listed in the App Store, Apple makes $$ CMM makes $$... excellent marketing campaign, strong wallet vac...

CleanMyMac X is one of the worst—look for the official in app uninstaller

If in doubt refer to the developers website

Contact a third party vendor

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201777

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Nov 17, 2021 12:11 PM in response to jlkarnell

jlkarnell wrote:

Thanks. I’ll try that. I have noticed CleanMyMac X seems to pull a bit of memory itself, even though they state the app is “notarized by apple for Monterey”.

“notarized by apple for Monterey” this means nothing other than the fact it jumped the hoops and paid Apple money, to have it listed in the App Store, Apple makes $$ CMM makes $$... excellent marketing campaign, strong wallet vac...

CleanMyMac X is one of the worst—look for the official in app uninstaller

If in doubt refer to the developers website

Contact a third party vendor

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201777

Nov 17, 2021 11:56 AM in response to jlkarnell

jlkarnell wrote:

my brand new MBP 16" w/64GB RAM M1 Max is using excessive amounts of RAM - it doesn't appear to be any one particular app or process that is "stealing" RAM - but usually it will be the onlly app that is open at the time, or one of multiple apps i have open. i'm running Monterey 12.0.1, but I had a similar issue in Big Sur - not as bad as this, however. I just ran diagnostics and received a code that says there is nothing wrong with the machine, so it must be the OS.

as an example, most recently i had Illustrator 22 and Photoshop 22 open - neither had docs open however. As i attemtped to open a doc I realized it was running sluggish, checked activity monitor and Illustrator was pulling 37GB of RAM! With no doc open!! I was trying to open a doc in Photoshop so the memory leakage didn't even make sense to me.

anyone else (i know there are a lot of people discussing memory issues) find a solution to this issue, or do i/we have to wait for apple to patch the OS?

i was expecting to be able to work more quickly and worry less about memory issues with this new maching and OS - instead its slower than my 2018 i9 15" MBP running Big Sur - and that had memory issues as well, as stated previously.

EDIT: I did not change my cursor color/size etc ever -- I've seen some solutions saying to put the cursor back to black; this solution doesn't apply to my situation.

Uninstall all third party apps that are Cleaners/Optimizers/Anti-Virus/VPN—

all known to cause issues on the macOS

Waiting for a point update... nothing wrong with this option as Monterey 12.0.1 is still new release and all the bugs are yet to be sorted.

Keep your Mac up to date - Apple Support

excessive memory usage 64GB M1 Max MacBook Pro running Monterey 12.0.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.