You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Touch Bar on my MacBook Pro unresponsive for 1 year due to water damage. Suddenly started working perfectly for 24 hrs after I updated to Monterey, then back to being unresponsive.

A water bottle leaked in my bag one year ago, and despite my MacBook Pro being in a zipped up case, it destroyed the Touch Bar response function. It has still been changing in application, and is very well lit up at all times. The Touch ID has also always worked, just Touch Bar has been unresponsive to the touch. I accepted my fate after hearing how expensive and difficult the repair would be from multiple people.

I recently updated to Monterey and as soon as the update finished and the laptop restarted, the Touch Bar was working perfectly. I was so happy I shed a tear :') It was functioning just fine for maybe 24 hrs then went back to being unresponsive— but still changes within the applications, and is lit up, and Touch ID works.

I've tried all the tips like going into Terminal and "killing the touch bar", but it just says "kill: illegal pid:" whenever I do it. I also tried going into the Activity Monitor to refresh the Touch Bar altogether, but "Touch Bar agent" wasn't even there.

Any idea how this happened? I had a glimmer of hope when the Touch Bar began working just fine post-update. How could it be fatally damaged due to moisture if it was able to function again after the update?

Thank you all

Posted on Nov 18, 2021 3:06 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 18, 2021 3:24 PM

Have you tried resetting the NVRAM or PRAM?

The steps needed to reset the parameter RAM are the same, regardless of whether your Mac uses NVRAM or PRAM.

1. Shut down your Mac.
  2. Turn your Mac back on.
  3. Immediately press and hold the following keys: command+option+P+R. That's four keys: the command key, the option key, the letter P, and the letter R. You must press and hold these four keys before you see the gray screen during the startup process.
  4. Continue to hold down the four keys. This is a long process, during which your Mac will restart on its own.
  5. Finally, when you hear the second startup chime, you can release the keys.
  6. Your Mac will finish the startup process.

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Nov 18, 2021 3:24 PM in response to sarahalexish

Have you tried resetting the NVRAM or PRAM?

The steps needed to reset the parameter RAM are the same, regardless of whether your Mac uses NVRAM or PRAM.

1. Shut down your Mac.
  2. Turn your Mac back on.
  3. Immediately press and hold the following keys: command+option+P+R. That's four keys: the command key, the option key, the letter P, and the letter R. You must press and hold these four keys before you see the gray screen during the startup process.
  4. Continue to hold down the four keys. This is a long process, during which your Mac will restart on its own.
  5. Finally, when you hear the second startup chime, you can release the keys.
  6. Your Mac will finish the startup process.

Touch Bar on my MacBook Pro unresponsive for 1 year due to water damage. Suddenly started working perfectly for 24 hrs after I updated to Monterey, then back to being unresponsive.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.