You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

A1016 Keyboard

I'm using a MacBook Air (2020) with the M1 chip, running macOS Monterey version 12.0.1, and I'm having trouble with an Apple A1016 bluetooth keyboard.

I know it's old and I could just get a new one, but I love how this keyboard looks and feels. Up until a few days ago, I had been using this keyboard with no problem. But the batteries died and I replaced them and had trouble reconnecting. I tried just restarting both the keyboard and my computer and forgetting the device in the bluetooth settings, but I haven't been able to reconnect since.

Going to the Keyboard settings and trying to "Set Up Bluetooth Keyboard" hasn't worked. It detects the keyboard right away, but when I hit "Continue" it just says "Connecting..." forever. Sometimes it'll give me a message saying it wasn't able to connect, but lately it just does nothing but sit there trying to connect.

I have also tried connecting through the bluetooth settings, but while it does give me the option to connect, nothing happens. If I click "Connect" nothing happens, but if I press the Enter/return key on the keyboard a six-digit code (different every time) pops up for literally one second and then goes away, and tells me "Passkey mismatch".

I have tried 0000 and 123123 and all that without any luck. If that code popup would just stay on the screen for more than a second, maybe it would work.

I'm just kinda sad because I've been using this keyboard for a long time and haven't had any issues until now. If anyone has suggestions or has had this issue, ANY advice would be really appreciated. Thank you!

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 12.0

Posted on Nov 19, 2021 7:11 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 29, 2021 7:35 AM

Same problem here, but my issues didn't start until 12.1.

Love that keyboard--and I bought a spare about a year ago. Neither one will connect.

I haven't been able to get the six-digit code screen to come up at all.

Similar questions

3 replies

Feb 3, 2022 5:58 PM in response to big_spigot

I have two of these 'boards. They both failed with a sys installation when 12 happened. A1016 both ceased. You can see them as a device to connect to. When you click the "Connect" button, it greys out & the 'please wait' wheel stars rotating, waiting for your reading of the code. Nothing happens unless you hit the return key of the keyboard. The window with the 6-digit code flashes on the screen, long enough to know it was 6-digits, but not long enough to tell you which 6-digits they were. Which is irrelevant as I receive the 'improper entry" line. The "Connect" button. I have read a very complicated response of which several lines of command need to be run in terminal.

I was told to let it set with disconnected batteries. Let the BT link memory die out, & reconnect. Read above.

A1016 Keyboard

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.