You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

External Hard drive isn't connecting/showing to Macbook Pro 16" 2021

I received the Macbook Pro 16" 2021 today and attempted to connect my external hard drive and it isn't connecting.

• The external hard drive connects to other older mac computers and it's been formatted for macs
  • I've selected in Finder that it shows external hard drives
  • I've restarted the computer and it showed only one part of the external, not the usable part
  • It doesn't show up in disk utility at all
  • The internal disk in the external hard drive is spinning

If anyone has any suggestions/solutions, I'm open.

Thanks!

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 12.0

Posted on Nov 19, 2021 4:26 PM

5 replies

Nov 23, 2021 6:50 PM in response to NikkRich

[NOT SOLVED]

At first the apple usb-c to usb-c connection was working but only for a couple hours.

My external hard drive shows up now but I can't get to any images on my external, I can only open up folders.

I also can't use Capture One. I can see the session on my external hard drive but I'm unable to open it.

The apple representative said they read this has been happening to people with G-Drives but I'm wondering if there is another solution than the cord they gave me.

External Hard drive isn't connecting/showing to Macbook Pro 16" 2021

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.