You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to remove the sidebar in files app in iPhone when the phone is in landscape mode?

Yeah that's pretty much everything I want to ask. How to get rid of that annoying sidebar displaying pages on iPhone in the files app when it's in landscape mode. I want to get rid of it and view my document in full screen. I have a screenshot here so that you guys can get a better view. And by the way, I'm using an iPhone 11.

Thanks guys :)

iPhone 11, iOS 15

Posted on Nov 20, 2021 6:24 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 22, 2021 12:43 PM

This wasn’t the case earlier. Before when you tapped anywhere on the screen, it used to go full screen and we could properly view the pdf without the annoying sidebar taking up screen space. This is the case for both my iPhone and iPad after updating to ios 15 and iPadOS 15. This new feature is not good and making things annoying for no reason.

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Nov 22, 2021 12:43 PM in response to Axel Foley

This wasn’t the case earlier. Before when you tapped anywhere on the screen, it used to go full screen and we could properly view the pdf without the annoying sidebar taking up screen space. This is the case for both my iPhone and iPad after updating to ios 15 and iPadOS 15. This new feature is not good and making things annoying for no reason.

Nov 20, 2021 6:51 PM in response to MrBloxCraft

Good Question. The answer is a NO. You cannot remove the sidebar in landscape mode within the Files app. I am sure that you have already discovered this. The files app is designed to locate the files that are in iCloud drive and on your iPhone. It can also produce a quick view of files like you have experienced and has extremely limited functionality for editing files.

My recommendation is to use apps that are designed to open and display respective to the data. For example, via a PDF file in Adobe Acrobat. View and edit a spreadsheet in either Numbers or Excel etc. View and edit a presentation in Powerpoint or Keynote apps. All of these apps will allow you to display without a sidebar.

Axel F.

How to remove the sidebar in files app in iPhone when the phone is in landscape mode?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.