You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can get into my iMac to change a forgotten password

My iMac is not accepting my password which I have used since I purchased it in the current year. I cannot change the password because I can't get past the locked first screen.

Posted on Nov 23, 2021 10:45 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 23, 2021 10:55 AM

Please take a look at this support document:

If you forgot your Mac login password - Apple Support

2 replies

Nov 23, 2021 11:24 AM in response to RickSupport

I think the most simple method is to:

• Restart the computer in the Recovery Partition by holding down Command + R on startup.
  • Open the Terminal App (please look in the menus for Terminal).
  • Type resetpassword and follow the on-screen prompts.

Also, I would strongly recommend getting yourself a password manager app, with all the logins and passwords we need to keep track of it become overwhelming to stay on top of all of them. Using the same login and password is not wise as that reduces your security. Using unique logins and passwords increases security. The one I happen to use is called 1Password however there are several on the market.

How can get into my iMac to change a forgotten password

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.