You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail, Verizon, AOL, and removed account - GRRRR

I know I can't be the only one to have this issue. We have a POP verizon.net email address that was ported to AOL a few years ago. It's worked fine until I recently got an email from Verizon saying we had to take extra steps to work with their new secure servers.

Using the information AOL published here: https://help.aol.com/articles/allow-apps-that-use-less-secure-sign-in#others I followed the link to instructions for Apple Mail here: "Remove your AOL account and re-add it to Apple Mail on Mac." https://support.apple.com/guide/mail/set-up-mail-with-your-email-accounts-mail35803/11.0/mac/10.13

About 3 days ago, I removed the old functioning Verizon/AOL account, and tried to add a new one, as directed. It refused to authenticate. I went through AOL's online information and generated a one-time password as instructed here: "Learn how to generate third-party app passwords." https://help.aol.com/articles/Create-and-manage-app-password

Mail still refuses to authenticate. I spent an hour on the phone with AOL customer support and the agent went through all the same steps multiple times, with no success. They finally said that I would have to subscribe to AOL so that he could refer me to a higher level support team.

Well, guess what, I'm going to be pretty berking bitter about having to pay money to AOL to fix something *they* broke.

I had no problem with the Mail app on my iPhone. Likewise, I still have web access.

However, the Mail app either immediately fails to authenticate, or just spins endlessly. Is there a solution anyone can offer?

As a corollary to the above, I tried to restore my removed email account via Time Machine, with no luck. Can anyone tell me specifically which files I need to restore to bring back the removed mail account?

Thanks in advance for any help.

iMac 27″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Nov 23, 2021 7:36 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 23, 2021 8:25 PM

OK, that's good then.

Start with this...

Safe Boot, (holding Shift key down at startup), does the problem occur in Safe Mode? Could take 10 minutes.

Safe mode attempts to repair Disks & clears lots of caches & loads safe Drivers, & prevents loading of 3rd party extensions, so if Safe Mode works try again in regular boot.

Then try the App password again.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Nov 23, 2021 8:25 PM in response to wil4ds

OK, that's good then.

Start with this...

Safe Boot, (holding Shift key down at startup), does the problem occur in Safe Mode? Could take 10 minutes.

Safe mode attempts to repair Disks & clears lots of caches & loads safe Drivers, & prevents loading of 3rd party extensions, so if Safe Mode works try again in regular boot.

Then try the App password again.

Mail, Verizon, AOL, and removed account - GRRRR

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.