You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

External hard drive issue – errors on one MacBook Pro / no errors on other MacBook Pro

I'm having trouble with an external hard drive. When I use it with my old MacBook Pro (15" Intel, 2016) there are no issues with it, but when I use it with my new MacBook Pro (16" M1, 2021), I get errors –. it disconnects, I get errors writing to it/reading from it, etc. (Both computers are running macOS 12.0.1; Apple Hardware Test and Diagnostics show no errors on the new MBP.)

When I run Disk Utility's First Aid on the old computer, I get no errors, but on the new computer I usually get this:

Checking file system and repairing if necessary and if possible.
Volume is already unmounted.
Performing fsck_apfs -y -x /dev/rdisk6s1
error: failed to read container superblock
File system check exit code is 8.
Restoring the original state found as unmounted.
File system verify or repair failed. : (-69845)

Operation failed…

I've tried Disk Drill too. On the old MBP it shows no issues, while on the new MBP it says "439 unreadable sectors":

I've tried reformatting the drive, but it makes no difference.

Any suggestions what could wrong?

Posted on Nov 24, 2021 12:42 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 24, 2021 1:37 AM

What I am seeing now, is that a lot of external storage drives are needing either a firmware update or a driver update to be able to work correctly with the new M1 Macs.

Just recently WD's G-Drive also need a driver update to be able to work with M1s...The same thing with some Samsung drives... So, it wouldn't hurt to check for software/ firmware updates for your drive...

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Nov 24, 2021 1:37 AM in response to t.kyhn

What I am seeing now, is that a lot of external storage drives are needing either a firmware update or a driver update to be able to work correctly with the new M1 Macs.

Just recently WD's G-Drive also need a driver update to be able to work with M1s...The same thing with some Samsung drives... So, it wouldn't hurt to check for software/ firmware updates for your drive...

External hard drive issue – errors on one MacBook Pro / no errors on other MacBook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.