You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac won't detect new HDD or external drive

Hi, i've recently bought an iMac 27" from 2009. I bought the iMac without a HDD and optical drive. The person who sold it to me said that there's nothing wrong with it (other than it didn't have a HDD or optical drive). So i installed OSX El Capitan on a seagate HDD (which works), and formattet it to GUID and the mac journaled thing and used a SATA-cable with thermal sensor. But, when i start up the iMac, it shows the question mark folder. So i tried to hold down option, when i boot the iMac, but there's no HDD to see... not even my external HDD with OSX El Capitan installed and with the correct format, only my mouse appeared. Then i tried to reset NVRAM, which didn't help either.. it wouldn't even react to me pressing down option, command, p and r or even option, shift, p and r. i took a look at the logicboard to see if the cables wheren't plugged in, but they were (i also made sure all the new cables for the HDD were properly installed). And i can't open disk utility to show all drives, because there's no MacOS on it. by the way, i can't access recovery mode or anything.

So is it the missing optical drive, which makes it show the question mark or is it a deeper and more advanced problem?

Posted on Nov 24, 2021 12:55 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 24, 2021 1:29 PM

I've FIXED it! i ended up buying a USB-drive with OSX El Capitan on it.. so i plugged it in my iMac, turned it on, held down option key and voila! the USB appeared, the funny thing was that, when i needed to choose with HDD i would download OSX 10.11 on, my HDD appeared which it didn't before in the "boot selection screen".

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Nov 24, 2021 1:29 PM in response to Jonesnielsen

I've FIXED it! i ended up buying a USB-drive with OSX El Capitan on it.. so i plugged it in my iMac, turned it on, held down option key and voila! the USB appeared, the funny thing was that, when i needed to choose with HDD i would download OSX 10.11 on, my HDD appeared which it didn't before in the "boot selection screen".

iMac won't detect new HDD or external drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.