You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

High WindowServer memory usage

I have new Macbook Pro 14 with M1 Max. I am connected with external monitor - Dell 38". I have a problem with still growing high memory usage of WindowServer process. When I restart system it uses ~1,2GB but after a few hours it grows up to 5 - 6GB. After two days of running system it grows up to 30 - 35GB. I have 64GB RAM so it is crazy that it used most of mine memory. It is not normal, do not want to restart my system each 3 days and setup applications from scratch. When it grows to 30-35GB I can not even smoothly switch between screens and applications.

I know that this process is responsible for open windows in the system so it might be related with connected external monitor. I am connected by USB-C.

Any ideas how can I reduce consumption of this process and fix this issue?

MacBook Pro 14″, macOS 12.0

Posted on Nov 25, 2021 3:43 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 13, 2021 6:40 AM

I found root cause of this problem. It is Dell Display Manager app which I used to manage screens and windows. When I close this app permanently this problem never came back.

Similar questions

5 replies

High WindowServer memory usage

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.