You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Notifications silenced

Me and my best friend both have the issue where when we send messages it always says our notifications are silenced but they really aren’t. One we have not silenced our phones. And even when it says it’s silenced it still notify us and doesn’t really silence them. Is this a software issue?

iPhone 13 Pro Max

Posted on Nov 26, 2021 7:03 AM

7 replies

Nov 27, 2021 8:54 AM in response to KNB229

Hello KNB229, 

Apple Support Communities is a great place for help with the notifications on your iPhone. From the description you provided it sounds as though Focus may be enabled on your devices. When Focus is enabled there is the option to have the Focus Status enabled, which would notify individuals that notifications are silenced. You can also customize which contacts automatically have notifications play when even when Focus is enabled. 

More information about Focus and these features can be found in the following article. 

Use Focus on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

Have a great day!

Feb 9, 2022 7:09 AM in response to Rainy_day_retired

Still watching in hopes Apple commits or finds a solution. I just upgraded my iPhone again and when that didn’t help, toggled various settings ON and back off, like screen time which I’ve never used, that helped others. Still can’t find anything to help.

every focus feature is off. It reports to others I have it enabled and silences incoming calls. I don’t share any features or settings with other devices as I only have the iPhone. This is NOT the problem some reported where the button turns itself on. Everything shows disabled or deactivated but I hear from other people and visually see the DND message on my wife’s phone about mine on the text window

I suspect something went wonky two or more iOS updates ago. I’d like it fixed.

Mar 18, 2022 6:23 PM in response to jdo_apple

Pretty much the same here, except I am getting audio and visual notifications on all devices (MBPro, iPad, iPhone). I tried "share across devices" both off and on, and "erase all content and settings." I spent a while on the phone with Apple support and figured I needed to make a trip to the Apple store. I found it interesting that two of the tech guys had seen it; one with his fiancé, the other himself. They both said one day, it just went away.

Notifications silenced

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.