You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I copy a single playlist or album from my mac to my ipad without itunes trying to sync the entire library?

I always download music to my macbook pro. I like to transfer some of it to my ipad--but definitely not all 14, 000 songs. But whenever I try to copy a single playlist or album, itunes starts syncing the entire library. I don't understand why it doesn't just do what is requested.

iPad Pro, iPadOS 14

Posted on Nov 27, 2021 3:50 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 5, 2021 9:00 AM

In iTunes there's a button next to the "Music" menu pop-up, to choose your iPad or iPhone. When you do that, it will switch to viewing your devices, with "Summary" at the top chosen. Down in the "Options" panel to the right, there should be a checkbox for "Manually manage music and videos"; make sure it's checked, then make sure the rest of the options are set the way you want them. (From what you're saying, make sure "Automatically sync when this iPad is connected" is unchecked.)

8 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 5, 2021 9:00 AM in response to giles176

In iTunes there's a button next to the "Music" menu pop-up, to choose your iPad or iPhone. When you do that, it will switch to viewing your devices, with "Summary" at the top chosen. Down in the "Options" panel to the right, there should be a checkbox for "Manually manage music and videos"; make sure it's checked, then make sure the rest of the options are set the way you want them. (From what you're saying, make sure "Automatically sync when this iPad is connected" is unchecked.)

Nov 28, 2021 12:03 PM in response to giles176

Hello giles176,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities. We understand that you want some of your songs on your iPad that you have on your Mac. We are happy to help.

We recommend using the steps here and choosing the playlist or songs you want on your iPad: Sync your iPhone, iPad, or iPod using your computer - Apple Support

Let us know if you have further questions.

Take care.

Nov 28, 2021 1:35 PM in response to green500

Thanks for the reply.

I don't want to sync my entire library. And I don't want the machines to do anything automatically. I want to pick and choose what playlists I want copied to the iPad. But when I drag a playlist, or even some selected songs to the iPad, iTunes stars copying songs I have no interest in copying--hundreds or thousands of them. Apparently this locks the whole process up, so that whatever I tried to copy never finishes. For example, I'm right this moment trying to copy ONE playlist of eighteen songs. Up top, meanwhile, (and unasked) iTunes is copying "219 of 255," including a 9-hour recording of a train trip! I don't understand why this is so hard. Why can't I just click and drag what I want to put where I want to put it. Imagine if a photocopier worked this way--can't copy a page, only entire books, or only ALL your books. (Just now, it finished "updating" 255 songs I didn't want updated, but did not finish copying the one playlist I asked it to.)

There must be something simple I'm missing.

Nov 28, 2021 2:02 PM in response to giles176

Hello giles176,

Were you able to follow the steps in the support article that we have provided to you previously? Depending upon the macOS version installed on your Mac, you will use Finder or iTunes to sync the selected playlist that you mentioned with the 18 songs to your iPad. You do not have to sync your entire iTunes Library to your iPad. If you’re still having trouble syncing the one playlist that you want on your iPad, we recommend contacting Apple Support here for additional assistance: Apple - Support - Product Selection

Let us know if you have further questions.

Take care.

Dec 5, 2021 12:00 PM in response to green500

Thank you--very helpful. Unfortunately, the algorithm doesn't seem to take running time into account. So that three cuts called, say, Allegro, and all of different running times, are classed as duplicates. If one could be sure it was not aggregating different cuts as duplicates, it would be good if one could get rid of all duplicates with one keystroke.

How do I copy a single playlist or album from my mac to my ipad without itunes trying to sync the entire library?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.