You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Referenced photos edited out of photo are changed only while new original is connected

I use Photo on my iMac with BigSure with referenced original on an external SSD JPEG and raw.

If I edite the original on the SSD with Photoshop Elements 2020 after it has been imported into Photo, I see the edited images into Photo only if the external SSD is connected. Without the Ext SSD the image into Photo remains unedited until I connect the SSD again. I tried to import the picture again but it seems to be impossible. If I consolidate the picture then Photo imports the edited version as a new picture adding it to the folder.

Any way to avoid this behavior ? Ok importing into Photo all pictures only after editing them with Photoshop could be a solution but I like to work the other way going to Photoshop only to do some editing which I am not able to do with Photo.

Thanks for your suggestion.

iMac 27″, macOS 10.12

Posted on Nov 29, 2021 1:36 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 29, 2021 4:34 AM

Hi - I don't think you will have success with this workflow - Photos is not desgned to work for editing in this way with an external editor - it will not recreate previews based on edits made externally to the referenced images. There is also significant risk of breaking the links - depending on what the external editor does to the file.

Further - most experts here don't recommend using the referenced model at all - there is too much risk of photos losing the link to your referenced images, and then it lacks the tools to re-link them. See:

https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-250002591

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Nov 29, 2021 4:34 AM in response to WALTER-MILANO-ITALY

Hi - I don't think you will have success with this workflow - Photos is not desgned to work for editing in this way with an external editor - it will not recreate previews based on edits made externally to the referenced images. There is also significant risk of breaking the links - depending on what the external editor does to the file.

Further - most experts here don't recommend using the referenced model at all - there is too much risk of photos losing the link to your referenced images, and then it lacks the tools to re-link them. See:

https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-250002591

Referenced photos edited out of photo are changed only while new original is connected

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.